chapter 2: drunk

Austin's POV

the first day flew by pretty fast. probably because on the first day hardly anything exciting happens.

as I walked home I saw ally.

"hey! ally!" I called, and she turned around.

she didn't say anything, and I broke out into a jog to catch up to her.

"hey- are uh- are you okay?" I asked, when she didn't answer me, I thought I should ask.

"fine." she said through gritted teeth.

what's up with her??

I didn't say anything, I didn't want to make things worse for her.

we silently walked, and she then made a left.

I looked to see where she was headed, and I realized that her house was the house that was behind mine.

how could I have not realized that she lives right behind me?

I made the short trip to my own house, and went up to my room, knowing that my balcony view is the backyard.

"Austin!" my mom called as I made my way up the stairs.

"yes mom!" I called while rolling my eyes. I wanted to go to my room.

"come down here!" I sighed and made my way down the stairs.

she was sitting at the table.

"what's up?" I asked, really wanting to get up to my room.

"how was your first day?" she asked.

really? you have to ask me this now?

"it was fine." I said, and when she didn't answer for a while, I quickly took that as my chance to go to my room.

I sprinted up the stairs, and once I finally got to my room, I threw my backpack off to the side and opened the doors to my balcony.

when I looked across, I could see ally was out on her balcony too, reading with glasses on.

I stared at her for a little while, as she sat in a chair with her legs propped up on the table.

as I continued looking, I saw her head look up from her book, right at me.

Ally's POV

when I got home, I decided that I really needed to get my mind off of things.

school is just another word for hell.

I was reading one of my favorite books out on my balcony, until I noticed something from the corner of my eye.

I looked up from my book, just to see someone looking at me.

after taking a good look, I recognized the blonde hair and body structure.

it was austin.

so that's where he lives...

I returned back to my book.

when the sun started to set, I decided it was time to go back inside because it was going to get too dark for me to read.

when I walked back inside, I couldn't help but reach into my pocket and pull out the photo that I ruined years ago.

as I looked at it, it reminded me of my childhood- all of my good times with her.

a single tear dropped on the photo.

I was only in 8th grade. a critical part of my life I guess you can say.