1. Lover Boy

I stand there, looking at her through the metal fence separating the sidewalk from the football field. 

Bree Canister -- The first girl to ever make the football team.

I watch as she passes the ball to #56. Kevin Harrington, the captain of the team. He takes the ball and runs to the left end of the field while 5 other players (or so) chase him trying to get the ball. He shouts in victory once he gets to the "goalie" (I think that's what you call them).
The coach blows his whistle signaling that practice is over. 

I feel someone hit me on my back. I turn around and see Andrew, my best friend, behind me with one earbud in.

"You done watching, lover boy?" He asks shuffling thru his songs.

I look over to the field. "Just one last look..." I say.

I see Bree celebrating with the rest of the team as they all drink Gatorade and walk to the locker room. She looks in my direction and smiles. I derply smile back as she catches me off guard.

"Let's go." Andrew pulls at my backpack.

"Going!" I  jerking away and put my backpack on correctly.

"So. I was thinking," Andrew starts. "How about the dance tomorrow?"

I start to laugh. "I'm very flattered but I am not for that team, unfortunately."

I hear a bag shuffle and feel a sudden hit at the back of my head. "You know I don't mean that."

I pick myself up as I feel a hard throb at the back of my head. "Why would you want to go to the dance all of a sudden? Andrew, if you haven't noticed, we are geeks! People don't want to go with geeks. They want to go with Jocks."

Andrew puts his backpack back on. "Who said anything about dates, bro? I didn't mean we go with girls. I meant, like, alone."

I scoff. "Once again, bro. I'm not for that team."

He cocks his head. "You really need another hit?"

"I just can't believe you're really serious about this," I explain. "Do you think I want to go to the dance --alone-- and have the most boring time of my life or stay at home and rewatch The Office?"

"You giving yourself only those two options make you a geek." Andrew waits for my answer.

"I'm not going." I leave Andrew at the corner, stunned.

"Listen, The dance is tomorrow. At least think about it." He follows me without checking at both sides.

"Fine." I sigh. "I'll see you tomorrow."

We do our handshake and go our separate ways. I roll my eyes as I finally got Andrew to drop the topic.

I enter my house and I immediately smell my mom's homemade cooking. I sneak into my room so mom doesn't get the chance to ask why I'm late. I succeed but bump into my sister on my way upstairs.

"There you are!" Lexi says in a loud voice, obviously on purpose. "Where were you? Were you with your girlfriend?  MOM, ZAC HAS A GIRLFRIEND!"

"Zac? You're home?" My mom shouts back.

"Yes!" I shout as I throw a death glare towards my sister.

"So. Were you really with your girlfriend." She crosses her arms as she awaits an answer.

"I don't have a girlfriend." I move her out the way.

"Of course you don't." She says. "Just look at you."