21. Our Great Escape

I look down at the gewy substance that the hospital cafeteria swore to be soup. I grabbed my spoon and started playing with the "soup" to see what was in it.
Let's see: broccoli, gray broth, clams, and; a hair!?

"I refuse to eat this!" I say pushing the bowl away.

"Hmm?" Bree says removing the bowl away from her face.

"You are disgusting." I say looking at her is disgust.

"You fell in love with me." She says as if it was a valid point to defend herself, and it was.

"True."

She stares at my bowl and licks her lips. "Are you going to eat that?"

I look down at my bowl and push it towards her. "You can have it."

She grabs the bowl and drinks it all in one sip. I look at her in amusement.

"You are crazy!" I say. "Do you know what was in that soup?"

"No, but it was delicious." She says satisfied with herself.

I gag. I grab my water bottle and take a sip.

"I meant to ask you," Bree starts. "What if we leave?"

"The cafeteria? Sure, theres nothing to do here anyways." I say taking another sip.

"No, i meant the hospital." I start to choke with the little amount of water that I was drinking.

"Leave. The. Hospital?" I say in between coughs.

"Yeah." She says.

"And how would we do that?" My voice is week so I drink a little bit more water.

"Lets escape."

I spit my water out and it accidentally lands on a doctor that was just walking by. I look at him and he stares back at me with an annoyed look.

"Sorry." I say looking down.

He sighs and walks to the area where he grabs some napkins.
I look around and most of the people in the cafeteria are looking at our table.

"Why would we do that?" I say cleaning my mouth with a napkin.
I am still thirsty so I grab my bottle again and start drinking water.

"We could go camping." She says with a troublesome smile.

I spit my water again and coincidentally, that same doctor was passing next to our table, again.
He looked down at his soaking uniform and sighed.

"Seriously, dude?" He says running to the bathroom.

"Would you try and keep your cool?" Bree says handing me another napkin.

"No. No. No." I say wiping my mouth. "We are not going camping in my state!"

She smiles at me. Her eyes say that she understands me but her smile says that some rules are about to be broken.
~
"Pst. Zac."

I wake up and look around. Its dark so it takes me a while to get my eyes to focus on the face. I look at the clock next to the bed. 3:45 a.m.

"Bree, its too early." I say covering my head with the blanket.

"It takes a while to get to the forest." She says throwing the covers on the floor. "Get up."

She pulls me up and I stay sitting on the edge of the bed. I start to fall forward and Bree grabs me and pulls me up.

"Stand up!" She says. "We don't have time for this."