8. You Have A Girlfriend?

"...and then she was all like "Zac you are so dead!" Bree says remembering what happened on Thursday.

I'll explain. So things were getting a little boring and Bree and I decided to prank my cousin who was saying that we were boyfriend and girlfriend.
I have a mini science lab that Mr. Aaron (the science teacher) let me borrow. I created a substance that was invisible at the moment but when in contact with skin it became permanently purple for like 5 days.
We created a way that when he entered the bathroom, he would open the door and the balloon filled with the substance would fall on top of his head. It took a lot of planning but we did it.

"I know right, he was so mad!" I say joining her at laughing.

"What are you guys laughing about?" Andrew says joining the conversation.

"The prank we pulled on Thursday," I say. "I thought you were coming like you do each year."

"I couldn't." He says. "I had to go meet my girlfriend's family."

Bree and I both turn in unison and look at him confused.

"You have a girlfriend?!" We both say at the same time.

"Yeah," he says. "I was going to tell you on Wednesday, but you went to look for Bree."

"My bad." I say.

"So, who's the lucky girl?" Bree asks.

"Or should I say... Unlucky girl." I add.

Bree laughs and Andrew punches me on the arm.

"Hey! I consider myself very attractive." He says.

"Yeah, yeah whatever," I say. "Who's the girl?"

"Lola Persichetti." He says.

"That popular girl who is Italian?" Bree asks. "I've heard she's a total buzz kill."

"Careful with your words!" Andrew says. "It's my girlfriend your talking about."

Bree and I both stare at each other confused on what to say. "Congrats." We both say without knowing what else to say.

"Thank you." He says. "You will both get to meet her at lunch tomorrow."

"Ooh, I can't," Bree says. "I have football practice tomorrow for the big game."

"Right," I say remembering.

"What? No!" Andrew objects. "If I have a girlfriend then my best friend's girlfriend is going to meet her!"

"Andrew, I'm really sorry but I can't skip practice," Bree says. "I'm already in big trouble with the coach because of the fight. I don't want to get into more trouble."

"Andrew," I say. "I'll figure something out."

He smiled but he is still not convinced. "Fine, you guys better figure something out because this is really important for me."

He walks away not waiting for our approval.

I look at Bree and she stares at me with a mad face. "We'll figure something out? What the heck are you thinking Zac!"

"Listen, Bree, I can't let my best friend down," I explain. "I love you, but I can't let you get in between what's important for my friend."

"We are not even dating!" Bree shouts.

"Why are we fighting then?" I ask trying to calm her.

"Because you think that you can control me." She says calmly. "Listen, I know that this is important for Andrew, but football is important for me and I can't let my coach or school down by not being prepared for the game."

Bree walks away and I stand in the hallway alone.
             ________

I stayed up all night thinking if Bree was going to show up or not. I don't know why, but this seemed to affect me more than I thought.

I walked to our usual table at lunch and saw that Andrew was already sitting there. She had Lola on her lap and they were kissing. Disgusted, I walked towards them.

"Get a room! Dang!" I say making them stop kissing.

"Zac!" Andrew said mad. It seemed like he was really enjoying that.

"You must be Zac," Lola says standing up and shaking my hand. "Andrew hasn't shut up about you ever since we started dating."

"I hope he wasn't really annoying about Me," I say giving Andrew an angry look. Maybe he had annoyed her by telling her about me too much that she doesn't even want to know me.

"Where's Bree?" Andrew asks.

"Bree?" Lola repeats.

"Mhm," Andrew says nodding. "Zac's girlfriend."

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend," Lola says looking at me.

"I don't." I explain.

"You don't?" Andrew mocks. "Oh, please. They're all over each other and you can feel the sexual tension when they're around each other."

"What are you talking about behind my back?" I hear Bree saying.

I look behind me and smile when I see Bree running towards us. "Sorry, I'm late. I had to argue with the coach."

"Bree!" Andrew says hugging her.

Lola clears her throat and Looks at the ground waiting for an explanation.

"Right," Andrew says backing away. "Lola, this is Bree. Zac's..."

Andrew waits for me to say what she is of me, but I don't even know what she is to me.

"Girlfriend." Bree finishes.

I give Andrew a confused look and he returns my look.

"I thought you weren't going to come," Andrew says changing the topic.

"Well, it seemed special to you so I just couldn't miss It," Bree explains. "By the way, I may be out of the game today just for this."

"Wait, you're out of the game?" I ask. "But aren't we going against our biggest rival, Magnet High?"

"Yeah." She says depressed.

"I thought you were really looking forward to this game." Andrew says.

"I was, but anything for my boyfriend's best friend," Bree says faking a smile.

"No no no," Andrew says. "You are going to that game. Come on."

Andrew grabs Lola's hand and starts walking toward the football field.

"Wait, what?" Bree and I say in unison.

"Let's go!" Andrew says already 10 meters away from us.

We look at each other and smile when we know he's serious. We start running and beat both of them to the field. Bree goes to the locker room to change and comes out with her football uniform.

Andrew, Lola, and I sit on the bleachers while Bree practices.