13. What does it say?

"Let me get this straight." The doctor says. "You want me to let you go so you can enter the football team?"

We both nod.

"That's crazy!" He says. "Zac, you can't run, not in these conditions."

"That's why we need to practice." I explain. "Listen, we missed the rest of this school year and school starts in 5 months. That gives us enough time for me to practice."

The doctor carefully stares at us and shakes his head. "No, it isn't possible. I'm sorry."

He stands up and walks to the door and opens it.

"Can we at least practice at the empty field next to the hospital?"

He stops and thinks about this. "Okay, you only have 1 hour each day so you better use it wisely."

He closes the door behind him and leaves me and Bree smiling at each other.
. . .
"What do you want to do first?" Bree asks.

"You're the one that used to play football." I say. "You tell me. Show me what you used to do."

"That won't be possible." She says.

"Why not?"

"Because you wouldn't be able to handle it." She says.

"What do you mean?" I ask. "You're a girl. If you could do it I could obviously do it."

"Oh, is that a challenge?" She asks daring me.

"I guess it is." I say back.
. . .

"Bree, I-I can't do it." I say in between breaths.

"What do you mean? We've only been practicing for 10 minutes." She says.

I roll my eyes and fall to the ground. "I guess you are more stronger than me."

"Hmm. And that was only warm up." She says.
. . .
"You're crazy!" Andrew shouts when I explain that I'm going to try out for the team.

"I kind of am." I say sarcastically.

"Cale is on the team. He might make your life miserable." He reminds me.

"I really don't care about Cale. I care more about Bree's happiness." I say.

"Right. I forgot how stuck-up you were with her." He says.

"You say it like its a bad thing."

"Because it is." Andrew says. "Next thing you know you're acting like a total sucker with your best friend."

I think for a moment if I was actually acting like a sucker with him. "Oohh. I get it. This isn't about me is it?"

"No. It's about me." He admits. "I'm sorry for the party drama. Turns out my girlfriend, well ex, was secretly influencing me to be a boy that thinks he's better than everyone, you know, like her."

"So you broke up with her, huh?" I say.

"Yeah. Her best friend told me that she wanted me to get rid of all the people that ruined my social image. A.k.a. You and Bree. So I told her that I didn't care of my social image and told her to screw herself."

"You did that for me?" I ask flattered.

"Don't make a big deal about it or I'll take her back and make your social life miserable."

"More than it already is?" I say. "All the kids at school must be spreading rumors about us."

"You mean all the kids that heard about it? School is out remember?" He reminds me. "And no, nobody is spreading rumors about you. Someone made sure to clear up all the confusion."