20

Phoenix was now five years old. She was starting preschool the next day.

She was good at walking and speaking. She was nearly finished with potty training and was really smart for her age.

The time was eight-thirty at night, Phoenix's bedtime.

You were putting her to bed since Mark was already asleep, as his day had been long.

"Can to read to me, Mommy?" Phoenix asked you.

"Of course, honey," You kissed your daughter's forehead and asked her what book she wanted to read. She chose, 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle.

You read it to her and showed her all of the pictures until the book was finished.

"Thank you, Mommy," Phoenix said.

"You're welcome, Fee," You smiled and tucked her in, "Goodnight, baby. I love you. Sleep well, you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

"Night-night," Phoenix said, "I love you too."

Then you left the room and turned off her light, her glow in the dark stars shining bright.

You closed the door about halfway, then went to your bedroom to see Mark struggling to fall asleep.

"Mark?" You asked softly. He opened his eyes and looked in your direction.

"Hi, (y/n)," He said and yawned.

"Can't sleep?" You asked.

He shook his head as he rested his eyes again.

You went over to his side of the bed and sat on the end of it. You pet Mark's hair and he smiled.

"I love you," He said really quietly.

"I love you more," You said back to him.

He just smiled as a response. You could tell he was extremely tired.

"I think I'm gonna go downstairs and watch a movie. I'll be back to sleep in a couple hours or so. I love you," You said and kissed Mark's forehead.

"I love you too," He said, "Bye-bye."

You smiled and left the room.

You went to the television and switched it on, deciding to watch Big Hero 6.

You watched through the movie and when it was about ten o' clock at night, you turned off the TV and went to go to bed.

You brushed your teeth and went to the restroom before laying down with Mark.

You'd thought he was asleep, but he scared you by rolling over and draping his arm across your body.

"I love youuuu," He said tiredly.

"Did you stay up for me?" You asked.

"Maybeee," He chuckled, "What'd you watch?"

"Big Hero 6. Why?" You yawned.

He yawned back, "I was just wondering. I love that movie."

"So do I. That's why I watched it," You chuckled.

"Let's go to sleep now. Besides, I can hardly ever sleep when you're not sleeping next to me," Mark said, "I love you, goodnight, (y/n)."

"Goodnight, Mark," You said.

A few minutes later, the both of you fell asleep.

{*****}

"Mommy? Daddy?" You woke up to the sound of your daughter's voice outside of your room.