Fate's Cruel Joke

Throughout the day I try to get to know people here and there but no luck in finding friends. Great year so far.

At lunch I find a shaded bench and pull out whatever I and Jonathan packed.

Chips, cookies, crackers, honey bun, chex mix and a soda. I laugh inwardly at myself. My parents aren't even here to scold me for missing the bus. Some parents!

I look around at my new school. It's a lot like what I saw on TV this summer. Figures.

Eating in silence begins to bore me after two minutes.

Pulling out my phone and headphones, I turn on some music from Pandora. Soon I'm nodding my head to the music.

A few people stop as they walk by but only to laugh and point. Suck it up! Says the little voice in my head that I have been listening to since I was five.

When my sixth period is over with, I head to the bus. Hopping on, I silently pray that no one sits next to me. I don't need my chlostrophobia to cause me to act even weirder than I already do.

The fates hate me! I scream to myself when a guy sits next to me. I look out the window hoping it fools my head into thinking I'm outside not inside a stuffed bus sitting next to a boy who just had to make my bad day worse.

I turn and glare at him, even though he hasn't done anything wrong besides invade my space.

The bus comes to a halt and everyone begins to file out.

Walking home I notice the boy is walking in the same direction as me. Weird.

Quickly I pick up the pace so does he. I turn around to see two other guys with him. Even weirder. I should probably run.

I start to run but I abruptly stopped by a hand in my face. Carefully looking up, I smile, seeing it's just Jonathan and next to him is his best friend Nathan (we call him Nate as a nickname).

"Dyl, get behind me. Do not leave Nate's side unless told otherwise. " I nod and do as I'm told. What is going on? And why is my brother being so protective? I watch and listen as Jonathan and Nate begin.....growling? I don't know what it is everyone seems tense, so I stay quiet.

"Our alpha said it's time you pay up. Five grand or, " the boy smirks at my peeping head. "The girl!" I gasp to hold back a chilling scream. More growls emit from Jonathan's chest.

Nathan turns towards me and leans down. "Run home lock the doors and windows now! Run as fast as-"I'm gone and inside the house before he can finish.

Locking all the windows and doors was simple since all stayed closed and locked.

I go to the kitchen to drink some water. Peaceful.

My peace is suddenly disrupted by a constant pounding at the door. I skip to door still in a happy mood forgetting what just happened outside. Like a good little girl I check through the peephole. I nearly scream.

Instantly I swing the door open and pull a bleeding Jonathan into the house.

"What happened to my brother!?" I hiss, demand sounding in my voice. There are scratches on his face and one large cut in his thigh.

"All you need to know is your brother is an idiot but he saved your ass by taking care of the problem." Nathan says with so much disgust that I step back. "Now go get the first aid kit and make sure all the doors are locked."

I lock the front door and go upstairs to grab the kit and a needle with some thread for stitching if needed.

Running down stairs I see my brother and Nathan just laughing up a storm on the living room floor.

A noise comes from my chest that I'm unsure of exactly what it is, but I am too mad to care. "Did you lie to me! ?" I scream.

"No I-"

"You what, just had to get me back for this morning so you decided to play a prank on me. You're not even in pain you assholes!" They look completely in shock that I caught them. "I'm sorry I tricked you this morning but I didn't expect you to go that far to get me back!"

"I'm not -" I cut him off again.

"I'm leaving don't expect me back any time soon." I need to cool down. I head to the door only to be grabbed by my wrist.

"Don't even try, Dylan. Just go to your room or something." Nate says darkly. "Take a chill pill."

"Fine." I run upstairs and into my run. I slam the door and grab my phone to call my mom. Crash! I ignore the noise knowing that bad things happen when you go to the noise in horror movies.

Instead of calling mom I listen to music and read.

So that my idiot brother can't get in I lock the door.

Around an hour later I fall asleep, listening to the constant banging on my door.

Some brother. He deserves whatever he gets for messing with me.