Prologue

Prologue

Chaos. Absolute chaos. That's the only way I know how to describe the elements around me. I try to look around, but I can't move. I'm paralyzed - with fear or with injury - I'm not entirely sure yet. In a desperate attempt to analyze the situation, I open my eyes. Blood. Metal. Dirt. People. I think to myself. That's all I can see from where I lie. Everything's a blur, and I'm beginning to feel lightheaded. I close my eyes in a feeble attempt to make the feeling stop.

"Ma'am? Ma'am! Can you hear me? If you can hear me, open your eyes!"

I open my eyes. A man in a white uniform is looking at me. Amidst the chaos, I can't make out another word he says. All I know is he's trying to speak, but I can't hear any of it. I close my eyes again, and try to focus. It’s no use. The sounds and the images have all morphed together, and trying to focus won’t help. I open my eyes once more and take in the scene around me. It’s much like a scene from a silent movie. I no longer hear any sounds, but I can see everything. I can see the blood. I can see the people. But I can’t feel anything. Here I am, lying on the ground, surrounded by people trying to help me, and I can’t feel a god damn thing; physically or emotionally.

I think back to how I got here. As much as I don’t want to remember, I do. I remember is his face. The look of sorrow, despair, desolation; the way his eyes filled with tears as I slammed the door. The way he begged and pleaded for me to stay, for just a bit longer. Maybe if I had listened to him, I wouldn’t be here, in this situation, feeling like this. But none of that mattered. I was here. And I never wanted to see him again.