Chapter 1

Chapter 1

 6 weeks earlier

“Shit,”  I mutter to myself as I violently try to rub the fresh coffee stain from my blouse. Well, lovely. Maybe no one will notice.

“You know, you’re really not supposed to rub a stain like that. Just makes it worse.

I whirl around to see where the sarcastic remark was coming from. In line, a bright blue eyed boy was staring at me.

“Thanks,” I snap, “I know.”

“Just trying to help,” he mutters.

“Sorry, it’s been a rough morning. Thanks for the advice.”

“My pleasure,” he smirks.

I turn on my heel and race for the door – I’m late enough as it is. Just as I reach the door I realize I don’t have my coffee with me. Whirling around, I turn to see the boy, holding my coffee and grinning.

“Forget something?”

I shuffle over to him with my head down and mumble “Thanks,” as I swipe the coffee from his hand. Swiftly, I turn and head straight for the door – again.

I’d been stuck in a string of bad luck lately, and today was my chance to try and get out of it. I had a meeting with an executive regarding an opportunity to get my foot in the door of an advertisement company – and a chance to get the hell out of this town. Surely, my coffee-stained-fashionably-late attitude was not the way to secure the job. The stain’s not that big, I tried to tell myself, maybe he won’t notice.

Scrambling to fit my keys into the ignition, I start the engine to my black Toyota Camry and hit the pedal to make it down 5th avenue in a decent amount of time. When I arrive at my interview, I am precisely twenty-three minutes late. Shit. I gather my portfolio, send a quick prayer to the heavens, and hope for the best.

“Pleasure to meet you, Ms. Mason.”

I shake the interviewer’s hand and swipe my blonde hair out of my face.

“Thank you for having me.”

The man looks me up and down. Damn it. He sees it.

“So tell me, Ms. Mason, what makes you qualified for this job?”

________________________________________________________

The interview seems to last hours, but when I finish I check my watch, and it was only 9:30. I slide back into the seat of my car and take a deep breath. That couldn’t have gone as bad as I thought. This was my last chance. Pushing away any thoughts of despair, I picked up my now-cold coffee cup. As I lift the cup to my lips, I notice something written on the side of it.

948-186-4938

- N