Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was late. I knew that. How late, I wasn't sure. I'm too tired to move, but my mind is too wired to sleep. After I got back from coffee with my mom, I received a phone call. From Corey. He said he wanted to talk, but I had nothing to say to him. He told me he loved me, and he missed me. He wanted me back.

I knew I hated him, and this was why. He is so god damn cocky. He thinks that everything is about him, and at the snap of his fingers I will oblige to what he wanted. And I don't blame him for thinking that, because I used to. But not anymore. I didn't want to see him anymore, but that didn't stop him from coming over.

"I miss you, Kat." His eyes scan my apartment and I can see how bloodshot they are. 

"Yeah, well, you should. I was awesome. But you fucked it up. You need to leave." I start to make my way to the door, signaling for him to leave. 

"Kat, I screwed up. It won't happen again. Please, Kat, I need you." He steps in front of me, blocking my way to the exit. I can smell the alcohol on his breath. I take a step back, and look him straight in the eye. 

"Corey, I'm only going to say this once, so listen carefully. I don't want to see you anymore. I am not in love with you anymore. I deserve better, and I am done with this conversation."

And with that, I pushed past him, and opened the door.

"If you don't leave," I said, "I will call the police and have you arrested. And this time, you won't get out on bail."

His eyes burned with rage and for a moment i was back in that room three months ago. He stared at me for a while, and I stared back with just as much anger in my eyes. Eventually, he left. I heard his car door slam and I heard it take off down the road.  I glanced down at my hands and realized they were shaking, pretty violently. I couldn't stand any longer, so I laid on the floor and cried.

I laid there for about two hours. I'm not sure if I was crying out of sadness, or anger, or frustration, or all three mixed together, but I couldn't stop. I sobbed and sobbed until my face was red and my eyes were puffy. I could hardly keep them open. How did my life get to this? I thought in my misery. How did something I thought was so good turn so bad?

That was about twelve hours ago. I get the energy to roll over and look at the clock. 3:23 am. Shit. I have to be up for coffee with, what's his name in six hours. Maybe I just won't show. Maybe I'll just stay in bed for the rest of my life.

***

I walk into the coffee shop at 10:06. I had eventually fallen asleep last night, but I look like a hot mess this morning. My blonde hair is pulled up into a messy bun, I'm wearing my favorite and most comfortable pair of jeans, and my tan leather jacket is zipped up, just barely showing the white tank top underneath. Just before I left my apartment I took a quick look in the mirror, and my eyes were still puffy and red. I even woke up this morning with tears streaming down my face. 

"Hey! Wow," I hear the accent come from behind me.

I whirl around. "Hi. What?" I glance down at my attire and flit my hands around my hair, because I can't be sure if that was a good or bad "wow." 

"You're just.. you look really nice today." he blushes.

I roll my eyes. I can't tell if he's being sincere or not, because I know for a fact I look like shit.  "Thanks."

I take a seat at my favorite booth.

"Can I get you anything?" N asks with a cheeky grin.

"Iced chai tea, please. Non-fat milk."