Chapter 23

2 days later . . .

"Could you turn the telly a little louder, Lewis? I can't really hear it." Mrs. Fletcher bragged as she pulled the blanket up to her ears. Lewis. Louis was so fed up with the Community Service, especially helping the elderly. They were all so old and smelly, most of them were grumpy and moody as hell.

Louis was no moody at all compaired to Frank Allen.

Louis faked a smile, "Sure." Louis got nearly deafened by the television. Mrs. Fletcher watched Emmerdale every single day and if she didn't have lemon cookies and green tea with her, well, Louis wouldn't want to experience that again.

He wiped off the dust from the cupboard and vacuumed the apartment, going grocery shopping afterward.

Louis got three packages of ham, strawberry jam, white toast, eight tomatos, a pair of fluffy red socks and toothpicks for Mrs. Fletcher from the market. He walked back to her apartment that wasn't too far away from there, picking up the news paper.

"I'm back!" Louis exclaimed as he left his shoes in the vestibule. He put the food in the fridge and went to the living room, where the lady was watching her favourite show. "I got the socks you asked for."

"Pardon?" She huffed, narrowing at Louis.

"The socks?" Louis said a little louder, waving the pair of socks in front of him.

"Oh!" Mrs. Fletcher clapped her hands. "Lovely. Thank you, Lewis." She grabbed the socks and reached for her feet to put them on, groaning as she couldn't do it.

"Shall I help you?" Louis suggested, hoping she would say she'd be fine. Louis didn't fancy old people's feet. Gross.

"Oh, yes. You're such a thoughtful young man. Your future wife will be very fortunate." She smiled sweetly, her wrinkly dimples coming out.

Wife. Alright, Mrs. Fletcher, we'll see about that.

Louis just smiled, kneeling down to change her old, broken socks into the new, fluffy ones.

Her feet smelled like a mixture of old lady's sweat and something sweet. Like caramel apples.

Louis started to feel sick.

~

"And then she called me Lewis all the time, I swear to God it was so annoying. I mean, she's sweet and all but she's half deaf and her feet smell hideous. And- Harry? Are you even listening?" Louis asked indignantly.

Harry glanced up from his phone screen briefly, "Huh? I- what were you saying?"

Louis sighed deep, "Couldn't you put your phone away or at least pay attention to what I'm telling you? Your phone has seemed to be more important to you than I am these past two days."

Harry looked at Louis, then his phone. He finally put the phone on the table and looked at Louis' face properly. "Sorry." He said. "It's just that Connor is moving here and he has a lot to say and I have to-"

"Listen to him and constantly talk to him instead of me?" Louis finished the sentence for him. "I get it. Look, Harry. If you have something going on with him then fine, just tell me if you'd rather spend your time with him because I don't want to waste my time here with you if you would want to be somewhere else with someone else." Louis spoke in an annoyed, snappy tone. "And if that is the case then explain me the I love you's."

Harry frowned, staring at Louis with a confused expression on his face. Why would Louis think that? Just because he is talking to Connor quite a lot doesn't mean that...