XVI

Brandon~

Can't believe it actually happened! Happy to announce that Nathan and I are engaged! Xo- Katy

My heart plummeted to the ground and I almost choked on my coffee.

She was getting married. Kathryne Webster was getting married.

According to the date of the post, it had happened almost two months ago...the night I told her I still loved her.

"Brandon...." Ashley groaned from the kitchen. "Come eat or else I'm putting all the food away."

I walked out of the room with my tablet in hand, and pushed it toward Ashley as I got a plate.

"Wow. Look who's moved on...good for her."

I stared at my empty plate envisioning the southern wedding that I was sure Katy was planning.

"Brandon?" Ashley asked waving the spatula in front of me. "Eat."

"I can't...." I mumbled.

Ashley came up behind me amd wrapped her arms around my waist.

"You're gonna get through this. You always get through these types of things. I've seen you do it countless times before..."

That was the problem. Of course I had dated before. Some of them even becoming quite serious. But no one was like Katy. Nathan was one lucky guy.

"Brandon..." Ashley called to me again.

"I'm sorry Ash....I need to hit the gym. Don't wait up."

She slowly nodded as I picked up my gym bag and my keys. I need to run a few miles and lift a few pounds to keep from going insane.

I texted my trainer to ask him to meet me at the gym.

He agreed and before I knew it I was in a full work out.

"Alright what do you want to do today?" He asked me while he strapped his boxing pads on.

"Anything you got."

"Alright. Let's go."

He made me punch the pads over fifty times until I hit the same spot consistently. Then we moved to the punching bag where I did the same.

"Kicks now. Go."

With each punch, with each kick, I envisioned it landing right in Nathan's face.

The more I kicked though, the more my mental image morphed into me. I was punching myself for leaving Katy in the first place.

How could I have been so stupid?

This was a question I was frequently asking myself.

With each thought I stabbed the bag. I should've never left for California. Kick. I should've never broken my promise. Punch. I should've never lied to her. Punch. I should've been more careful with my second chance. Kick.

Before I knew it I was repeatedly punching the bag over and over until Joe, my trainer finally stopped me.

"Woah! Brandon chill!"

I breathed heavily and unhooked the bag to set up another one.

"No..." He said taking it from me. "We're done here. Let's get a drink and talk."

He drove me to a local sandwich shop and handed me a baseball cap and sunglasses so I wouldn't be ambushed by fans.

"Start talking." He said once we sat down.