XX

Nathan~

I had been in New York with my publisher and editor for the last two weeks and we were finally heading home.

"Hey babe!" I smiled when Katy picked up the phone. "We just arrived at the airport so I will be home in just a few hours to give you a kiss."

After I hung up with Katy, I got another call. This time from my mom.

"Hello, mother."

"Nathaniel. Great. Remember that you are having dinner at our house this evening. Chelsea is in town and would like to see you."

My stomach dropped and I didn't know whether to throw up or faint.

"Mom. I can't tonight. I'm having dinner with Kathryne."

"Who's that?"

"My fiancé remember? You really need to meet her mom."

"Well reschedule. Chelsea is here! See you at five o'clock sharp. Bye."

I rolled my eyes as I threw my phone into my travel bag.

"Last call for flight 226 on its way to Atlanta, Georgia. Last call for flight 226."

As we boarded, my friend Jon, (who was going to be my best man) asked me what was wrong. I smiled because even though we hadn't seen each other in a few years, Jon never missed a beat.

"Mom called. Chelsea is waiting for me when I get home."

Jon's jaw dropped as he took his seat. "Chelsea? As in the girl you almost married Chelsea?"

"Chelsea Staine. The one and only."

"What are you gonna do man? I always remember Mrs. Testa being super particular when it came to dinner dates."

"I know, but you would think that she would calm down after I got older, but nope. If anything, it's gotten worse."

Jon gave me a pat on the shoulder. "As your best man, I say you have the dinner. Say hey to Chelsea, make your mom happy, and then see Katy afterwards. What harm could it do?"

I sat back in my seat and sighed. Maybe Jon was right. What harm could it possibly do?

~

Brandon~

Ashley had been spending the day with my mom because they insisted to get some early wedding shopping done. Honestly I was perfectly fine with the idea of having the whole house to myself, until I started thinking.

Then the thinking turned into the looking and the looking turned into the moving, and before I knew it, I found myself at the mill.

I parked my car and walked over to the bench to find none other than Katy sitting gracefully against it.

"Hey there stranger." I smiled as I slowly sat next to her.

"Hey." She smiled as she slowly looked up at me. "What uh...what are you doing here?"

"Came here to think. You?"

"Same. I have a lot on my mind."

I nodded. "Would uh...would Mr. Testa be one of those thoughts."

"He's many of those thoughts actually." She smiled.

I nodded again, this time to remind myself that we were both getting married to different people.

"How's the wedding planning going?" I asked her.

"Good. Kris is helping a lot so it's been good."

"Good..."

"What uh...what about you?" She asked.

"Honestly, I don't know...Ashley and my mom went out to look at different things...I wasn't really paying attention."

She laughed. "You've never been a very good listener huh?"

"No I guess I haven't."

"Do you remember that time in seventh grade when Mrs. Green asked you a question and you were daydreaming?"

I smiled at the memory and laughed along with her. "I still got the answer right though!"

"By pure luck!"

"Remember that one time I won Cheyenne Reed over with my wink that I had been practicing for months with your dad?!"

Katy fell over laughing. "That was amazing!"

"I honestly think it was just my looks."

"You were such a lady killer back then weren't you?" She smiled.

"I got you didn't I?" I blurted.

I wanted to stick the words back in my mouth as soon as I had said them. "Katy...I'm sorry."

"No...don't be. We've moved on."

"Yea...yea."

She just nodded and stared back at the lake.

"Why are you really out here Kate?"

She took a deep breath and sighed. "Nathan cancelled dinner tonight. He said he would see me later tonight but I can't help but think that it's just strange timing. We've never been apart for longer than a couple of days since we've been dating, and I just miss him."

I smiled at her softness and sensitivity. It was what made her beautfiul.

"Nathan's a smart guy. He knows what he's doing. I wouldn't worry about anything. I'm sure he had a solid reason to cancel dinner."

"Thank you. You always knew how to make people feel better too huh?"

"I guess I did...hey do you want to grab pizza? We could bring it back here and watch the sunset like we used to."

She hesitated for a moment but quickly nodded. "I would like that."

My heart gleamed brighter than I knew it could and in that moment I knew that I still loved Kathryne Webster, and I didn't think that I could ever stop.

****

Alright so....teamNathan or teamBrandon??

Comment what team and what you thought of the book :)