8: What names mean

Autumn liked to think people's names were some sort of indication of their destiny. She strongly believed that Theodore—despite his objections—would grow up and do something grand. She also thought that it would be underappreciated, which sounded a lot more like his sort of future, but amazing nevertheless.

"And what does your name have in store for you?"

She pulled at blades of grass as she thought, putting them up into the moonlight to examine before shredding them. It was Saturday night and twenty-four hours had passed since their drunken conversation. Theodore wondered if Autumn remembered everything as vividly as he did. If she did, she didn't mention it.

The hangover was merely an annoying strumming in his temples that morning. By the time noon rolled around and he had a hearty late breakfast, he was out of the house and ready for his shift at the local supermarket. It was only eleven, and Theodore was exhausted, but he didn't want to miss a single second that he could spend with Autumn. He was on his back, legs crossed at the ankles, his left hand propped under his head, trying to stay awake.

"I think it's representative of my death."

"Bloody hell, Autumn, don't say that." Even the thought made him shudder.

She ignored him. "I have a feeling I'll jump."

Theodore sucked in a breath. He knew he wouldn't like the answer, but he felt compelled to ask anyways. He kept his voice level as he said, "Why jump?"

"Do you know what another word for 'autumn' is?" she asked.

He stayed silent.

"Fall."

The two didn't utter a single word. They let the words sink in, consume their minds, flood their thoughts.

Then Theodore said, "I don't think you'll jump."

Autumn tilted her head, picking up on what he was saying—or, what he wasn't. "You didn't disagree entirely."

"I know."

"You believe it has something to do with falling."

"Yes."

Autumn was beautiful, but she was also bright. It took her a single second before her eyes widened and she looked at him, lips parted in disbelief. Theodore gently tugged his beanie over his eyes and smiled.

"I believe it has something to do with it," he said. "But I don't think you're the one that's going to be doing the falling."