30: When he's over

The following day, both of Autumn's parents weren't home when she returned so she invited Theodore inside. It was the picturesque little house, everything perfectly placed. You never would have guessed that there had been a party the previous night.

She quickly went upstairs to shower while Theodore wondered around. Now that there was better lighting and less people occupying the space, he was able to explore. Their living room was spacious, a collection of plush leather couches surrounding an empty coffee table. A mantle was on the opposite side of the room, a number of framed photographs lined on top of it.

Most of them were family pictures from holidays and celebrations, some of Autumn as a younger child with missing teeth and ladders in her stockings. But each picture had a common theme: happiness.

"Do you want something to drink?" Autumn asked when she returned.

He nodded and followed her into the kitchen where she started making them some hot chocolate. Sitting at the bench table, he examined the contents on it. There was a fruit bowl on the counter housing some shiny apples and speckled bananas. On that same end was a pile of cooking magazines, the top cover showcasing the biggest glazed chocolate cake Theodore had ever seen.

The only other notable item sitting on the bench was a box. Curious, he hesitantly opened the lid and took a peek inside.

"Autumn? What's this?"

She turned and looked at him, a furrow in her brow. Abandoning the mugs she walked over and stuck her hand inside the box, taking out an item tightly covered in newspaper. With nimble fingers she quickly undid the wrapping until a delicate wine glass was resting in her hand. The crystal was exquisite and clear, a gold band wrapping around the rim.

Autumn studied it before she looked up and smiled. "These were the glasses passed around last night. We only ever take them out during special occasions, but now that the party is over, back they go into hibernation."

"I guess I didn't notice," he said, watching as she wrapped it up with the exact same precision she had used to undress it.

"Of course you didn't." Her laugh was melodious, lyrical, beautiful. "You drank nothing but cranberry juice in regular glasses the whole night."

Theodore's cheeks turned a precious shade of pink. "Well, I didn't think it was appropriate drinking alcohol with your family around."

Autumn kissed his blushed face. "They loved you."

I love you, was lodged in her throat.

I love you, was stuck in his too.

But it was never said out loud.