10: Where she goes

After school, Winston and Theodore walked down the street to get hot chips and cigarettes. The hot chips were for Theodore and they were sprinkled with chicken salt. The cigarettes were for Winston who instantly lit one up as soon as he got the pack.

He exhaled a cloud of smoke and sighed in satisfaction. "I've been looking forward to this all day."

"That's bloody sad."

"I know," he answered, taking another drag. "I'll quit eventually." Then he laughed half-heartedly. "Ah, the lies I tell myself."

Theodore pulled out another chip and munched on it. He had missed school on Monday since his head was still cloudy and even though he was still harbouring a nasty cough the next day, he dragged himself out of bed and made the bell before homeroom. As expected, the one day he was absent was when his chemistry class went through half a topic of information. He wasn't looking forward to catching up.

The two found themselves walking down to the beach. Theodore insisted on finishing his chips before they went-food and sand did not go well together-before he rolled up his trouser pants and kicked off his school shoes.

Despite living by the sea, Winston and Theodore did not take advantage. They never learned how to surf, they hadn't become junior lifeguards during the summer, and they definitely didn't stay outdoors long enough to catch some sun and bronze their skin.

The weather was anything but ideal. The skies were dark, the sea angry and cold, the wind a howling monster. The sand was cold beneath Theodore's bare feet and he tried burying his toes in deeper to find some source of warmth. The wind picked up at that moment, whipping his tie and flapping his blazer around like he was a bird trying to catch flight. Going to the beach was suddenly a seriously stupid idea.

Beside him, Winston howled, clutching his right eye and squinting with his left. "Fuck! Fuck! Sand got in my eye. Sand is in my eye. I'm blind. Dude, I'm bloody blind."

If Theodore tilted his head towards the direction of the wind, he could feel the prickle of stray sand on his cheeks. It stung his frozen skin. When he turned back to his friend, he was still clutching his eye, but his attention had been caught by something pretty in the wet sand.

But Winston wasn't the only one getting distracted by something beautiful.

As Theodore turned towards the direction of the main street, he saw Autumn. She was still in her uniform; a chunky black and white dress ensemble with grey stockings. She was walking across the road with a couple of her friends, but rather than get sucked in by their high falsetto laughter, she grinned at Theodore.

It was so simple, so outrageously normal, but she may as well have blown a theatrical kiss across the lot because her smile was doing wonders. Theodore watched, mesmerised, as she turned the corner and disappeared.

Only a second later, Winston reappeared by his side and shoved giant shell in his face. "What. The fuck. Is this."

"A...a shell?" Theodore said, confused. "Is this a trick question?"

"It's huge. Look, it's as big as my face or something." He held it up against his head to validate his statement. "See? Huge. I've never seen one this big before." He paused, lowering the shell. "Why are you suddenly giving me puppy love eyes?"

"I just saw Autumn."

Winston raised an eyebrow and craned his neck to see over his friend's shoulder. "Oh yeah, I totally see your imaginary girlfriend."

Theodore punched him in the shoulder. "You'll be one shit-eating fool when you finally meet her."

"In a reality where pigs fly and I've quit smoking," he joked.

"If I introduce you to Autumn, you have to quit smoking. If you don't meet her before graduation, I'll buy you a month's worth of cigarettes."

Winston seemed sceptical at first, but then he shrugged and held out his hand. "Hope you're ready to break your bank and feed my addiction."

"Hope you're ready to meet the most beautiful girl you'll ever lay eyes on," Theodore shot back.