44: How summer passed

On a Wednesday morning, Theodore scheduled a personal tour of the university he would be attending in autumn. He was both a bundle of nerves and excitement. Theodore decided he wanted to become a teacher and the thought of being responsible in children's academic journeys was an extremely powerful and terrifying thought.

But before he could jump into his classes, he first had to figure out where they were. A member of the senior representative council escorted him around campus. He was a third year student studying physiotherapy. He had two dogs back home--whom he missed dearly--and he was a huge fan of sports films.

Theodore remembered the smallest details the guy briefly mentioned about himself. But he could not—for the life of him—remember his god damn name.

"So, basically, those are all the types of dorms you're looking at. I recommend an apartment in West Harbour. You get opportunities to socialise a bunch but also the privacy of our own room. So if your housemates are dickheads, you can escape them for a bit."

Theodore stared at him.

Jason?

Jackson?

Jimmy?

"But don't worry too much about it. You'll hit it off with at least one other person in the building. Everyone has a different hobby or interest so you're bound to find someone. Clubs are also a great way to find friends and we host a bunch of events during orientation week."

Jed?

Josh?

Joe?

"Jarrod!"

"I knew it started with a J," Theodore whispered to himself.

"What?" Jarrod, the guy showing him around, asked. "I didn't quite catch that."

"Oh, it's nothing," Theodore said, waving his hand. He could feel the tips of his ears turn pink.

Jarrod shrugged and stood up to collect his coffee. After the tour, they decided to go to one of the many cafes located on campus. Theodore wasn't the biggest coffee fan, but he did order an iced chocolate and a glazed donut and it was superb.

"So, do you have any questions for me, Theo?"

He shook his head and placed a bit of donut into his mouth to avoid any further conversation. He just needed someone to show him around. Jarrod seemed like a nice guy but they already seemed like two very different people.

"You're a quiet one," Jarrod said with a small smile.

"Painfully," Theodore answered. "I have the social skills of an asparagus."

Jarrod laughed. "Don't worry, some people enjoy asparagus. University makes it easier to meet people. You're pretty much forced into a lot of social situations. Someone in your dorm hosts a party that's inescapable, a lecturer organises group projects worth sixty percent of the grade, that sort of thing. Are any of your friends going here? Maybe a significant other?"

"I'm on my own for this adventure unfortunately."

"Well, I hope it's a strong start and that this helped you out to some degree."

"Honestly, if I manage to walk into all the right classes I will call it a success."

"It'll be confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. Well, looks like our hour is up. If you have any other questions, you have my contacts. Want me to walk you back to the administration block?" Jarrod got up from his seat, coffee in hand.

"Thanks, but I might just hang out here for a bit. Get used to my surroundings."

And order that slice of Ferrero Rocher cheesecake he had been eyeing since he had finished his donut. As soon as Jarrod was on his way, Theodore jumped up and practically sprinted to the front counter. His nose was almost pressed against the glass separating him from the rich, hazelnut goodness.

"Wait until you taste it."

Theodore looked up to find a petite girl smiling at him. Her round cheeks were blushed soft pink as she reached up to push her thin-framed glasses further up her nose. Her hair was braided into a crown and it reminded Theodore of cinnamon scrolls.

"Believe me, I almost cannot wait."

The girl reached down with a pair of tongs and a plate and selected the biggest piece of cake. Then she grabbed a fork and a napkin and handed it over.

"How much do I owe you?" Theodore fumbled around in his pockets for some change.

"Actually, a name will suffice."

Her blushed cheeks had turned a shade darker. So had Theodore's. The girl was smiling and to Theodore's surprise, so was he.

"Theodore," he managed to stumble out.

"I hope I get to see you around campus more often, Theodore," she said before moving to the other side of the counter to serve the line up of customers behind him.

Theodore aimlessly turned around and tried to find a place to sit back down. When he finished his dessert, he picked up the napkin to wipe his mouth. However, it never did quite make it to his lips because he noticed there was a number scribbled in the corner, along with a name.

Maggie.

* * * 

Hey loves,

I have a very big announcement coming up in the next few days so if you're not already, be sure to follow me on twitter (lovelylivvi_) and Instagram (lovelylivvi) to keep updated! I am so excited to share my secret! I have been keeping it quiet for the whole year. 

Also I apologise for the very short and spread out chapters. I am currently working on extending this short story into more of a novel.

Lots of love xo