42: When graduation passed

Spring crept around the corner until graduation was at Theodore's fingertips.

It had been a long winter and a slow start to the warmer months, but October held a sweet taste of freedom. With exams to prepare for in the following month and work shifts picking up, Theodore remained busy. But he also ensured he was looking after himself.

He focused on little things, like waking up early to go for walks in the mornings and making sure he kept up with basic hygiene. He ate three meals a day and allowed himself some down time when needed. Healing was an extremely slow process for Theodore, but he was putting in the effort and seeing progress.

Autumn had left an ache in his heart, but it was duller now. It wasn't an angry, throbbing mess in his heart anymore. It wasn't a harsh, unsettling churn in his stomach. It was merely a little pulse that was only noticeable when he really searched for the feeling. 

It was spring now and Theodore had just walked out of the school auditorium with his graduation certificate in hand. Thirteen years worth of school were complete and he was feeling good. A surge of accomplishment coursed through his veins, accompanied by a wave of excitement tainted with an injection of absolute terror. There would be no more excruciatingly long classes or itchy uniforms or tolerating absolute idiots he had to call his peers. Yet, there was the horrifying reality that the future was completely open and unknown.

He could have had a meltdown over it.

But a milkshake was far sweeter, especially when shared with his mother and best friend.

As a celebration, Helen took Theodore and Winston out for lunch. They had triple-stacked cheeseburgers with cheesy curly fries, crispy onion rings, stringy mozzarella sticks, and monstrous milkshakes to wash it all down. 

"I'm keen for summer," Winston said, taking a chip from his basket and swirling it into the cream clustered at the bottom of his milkshake glass. "Mikey and I are going to the city just before Christmas."

"That'll be a treat!" Helen glanced down and poked at the remains of her cheeseburger with a fork, seemingly unimpressed with how much she hadn't managed to finish. 

"When do we get to meet Mikey?" Theodore asked before taking a big gulp from his milkshake. Bits of crunchy salted caramel filled his mouth. 

A hint of colour blossomed on Winston's cheeks. "I--I don't know."

"I mean, you should probably introduce him to your family before you go away on your first big trip together," Theodore said.

"Getting beat up in front of my boyfriend isn't on my top ten romantic things to do." Winston's eyebrows narrowed together and his shoulders sagged.

Theodore and Helen glanced briefly at each other, confused.

"Honey, we'd never even think about hurting you," Helen said, reaching over. She gently brushed away a piece of hair that had fallen into Winston's eyes. "We love you."

Winston straightened in his seat. "Wait, you weren't talking about..."

"We're talking about us, man," Theodore said. "We're your family. Fuck the other guys that you happen to live with. I'd hardly consider them to be relatives."

Helen choked a little. "Theodore, don't say 'fuck'."

Theodore dismissed the comment. "The point is: You've always got a home with us."

Winston's eyes were glassy with tears. His bottom lip trembled so he bit down on it to keep it from wobbling. 

"I'm obviously the favourite child though," Theodore said, giving a cheeky grin. 

Winston laughed and reached up to use his uniform sleeve to wipe away the tears that had escaped. "Fuck, you're really going to make me cry today?"

"Don't say 'fuck', Winston," Theodore teased, mimicking his mother. "And don't cry, you're the second favourite."

"There are no favourites," Helen said, shaking her head. She had a smile on her face though. "I'm proud of both of you."

Helen was beaming.

Winston was glowing.

Theodore was shining.

He was happy.

And so was his family.