26: When worlds collide

That weekend, Autumn invited the boys over to her house for a family party. She described it as being formal, but she never gave them a dress code. Theodore took this information home and interpreted it as a suit and tie kind of event, so he pulled out his best shirt, attempted to iron it, and also picked out a tie.

Admittedly, he only had two ties, but he did make a big deal out of deciding which one to wear. In the end he went with the navy one. Winston turned up just as Theodore finished getting dressed. He gave a nervous smile and shuffled on the doormat. After he had cleared his throat, he gestured to himself.

"How do I look?"

Winston was clad in a crisp white shirt and his school trousers. He didn't have a tie, but he wore a tweed jacket that was too sizes too big for him. He claimed he got it at the op shop for two dollars and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

"Ready to party," Theodore said.

Winston quietly looked down at his scuffed school shoes and ran his fingers over the material of his sleeve.

Theodore could practically hear the gears in his head turning, his mind brewing unwanted thoughts. The corners of Winston's lips dipped a fraction as he kept his gaze low and studied his attire.

"You know what we need? Some cologne."

Before Winston could construct any more toxic thoughts, the two entered the house and went upstairs into the bathroom where Theodore showcased his impressive collection of one bottle of cologne. He patted the liquid onto his face and grinned at his reflection in the mirror.

"This stuff drives girls crazy," he claimed. His eyes were drawn back to the bottle. "Maybe I should I put some more on."

Theodore drowned himself once again with the musky scent. Winston coughed, scrunching his face up.

"Thank fuck I'm not trying to impress any girls then because you smell like shit, man."

"Autumn will love it."

Autumn did not love it.

When the two dropped by the neighbouring house at six, there was already the hearty chatter of people inside. Theodore could hear laughing, the clattering of glasses and a soft melody to help entertain the guests.

It didn't take long for Autumn to answer the door and in all honesty, Theodore wished she had taken longer because he wasn't given nearly enough time to prepare himself for her beauty. Two thin straps rested delicately on her slender shoulders, holding together the darkest blue material of her dress. It clung to her bodice and fell to the ground like a soft waterfall, a large slit on the side exposing the smallest sliver of Autumn's thigh. Tiny white gems were scattered along the bottom of the hem and they shimmered when she walked. Around her neck was a dainty chain of gold, a teardrop pendant of sapphire dipping between her exposed collarbones to rest just above her sweetheart neckline. Her hair was pinned up messily, dark curls falling to frame her face.

The corners of her crimson lips lifted into a smile.

"You're...extraordinary," Theodore whispered.

"Not beautiful?"

"Beautiful doesn't even cut it."

"You look gorgeous, Autumn," Winston said quietly from behind Theodore.

He tilted to the side and took a glimpse at the prestigious guests inside. He swallowed hard as he ran his hands over his jacket, his fingers brushing over where a button was missing. Winston pulled at the thread, his bottom lip trembling. With his gaze level, he forced himself to still, pursing his lips.

"I don't think this is my type of crowd. Listen, Maccas is calling me. Better split."

He turned to leave but Autumn quickly reached out and took hold of his hand. "Winston."

She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, whispering something into his ear. Theodore watched as his friend sunk into her, squeezing his eyes shut and burying his face into her shoulder. When they broke apart, Autumn gave him a tender smile.

"Let's go inside," she suggested, leading both boys into the house.

The party was quite fancy for Theodore's standards. But that was because he was used to kids' birthday celebrations. The kind where they served fairy bread and Freddo Frog ice cream cake and had the choice of red or green cordial. At Autumn's party, platters of miniature quiches and meatballs on sticks were passed around, people discussed intellectual topics and the entertainment consisted of very mellow music.

Winston found himself gravitating towards the food. Theodore stuck with Autumn.

"Would you like to meet my parents?" she whispered.

He gulped in response, which was taken as agreement and he was whisked away. They manoeuvred through the crowds of people until Autumn paused in front of two outrageously beautiful humans at the back of the room.

Autumn's father was a tall man who carried his height with pride. His face was structured, salt and peppered hair neatly combed, posture straight, piercing grey eyes enough to skewer you on the spot. He held out a hand to Theodore but offered no verbal exchanges. Then he resumed his rigid position next to his wife, expressionless. He could have been mistaken for a wax figure if it weren't for him lifting his glass of whiskey to his lips every so often.

Autumn's mother was much more open. She had a soft, angelic face, her features lined with wrinkles. Her eyes were brown, identical to Autumn's but they held a sort of sadness that made Theodore's chest tighten. She exchanged a look with her daughter. What was it? Disappointment, disapproval, confusion? He wasn't sure.

But something about it worried him.