ONE.

[CHAPTER ONE];

"And hell will rise,as the sun falls down.So close your eyes, I'll wake you when the day sounds."- When the Darkness Comes, SHELBY MERRY

Mataya's eyes were set on the bright lights in the horizon, her face dirty from her long days in the scorch as she pushed herself to limits she didn't know existed. She was more than exhausted, and she was on the brink of a seriously melt down -- but she was strong, and she promised Thomas she would get the hell away from WICKED, despite Ava being there for her since the day her Mother died.

It sickened Mataya to think about all that woman has done for her, but she was still a horrible person who didn't deserve respect for the things she's done to the people who wanted nothing more to help, and it took Mataya years to figure out who Ava Paige truly was.

Her legs begged her to stop as they wobbled with every step she took, her foot stomping onto the hard floor of the desert. She would be faster crawling if she was going to continue walking at such a time consuming pace. Her body grew more and more weak and it felt like the building was floating away from her as she grumbled.

From where she stood, it looked like an abandoned warehouse. Cars littered around the areas.

"Screw you WICKED." She grumbled under her breath as she began to jog towards the building.

Her heart raced with excitement as she got closer and closer to the place she could hopefully sleep in until she came up with a new plan. Letting out a groan as she felt her legs burn -- the wound that was severely infected making her leg burn every step.

She stopped running once she reached a car and placed her hand on the hot metal, pulling it back as she cursed under her breath. Gripping her burnt hand she rolled her eyes and stood there as she tried to catch her breath. Placing her hands on the slightly ripped pants she heaved up and down as she felt her voice crack with dryness.

She was out of water, and she was praying that whatever was in that abandoned building had a goddamn lake of water for her to drown herself in. Letting out one last heavy breath she stood up, her eyes widened as a loud screech came from right beside her. Turning quickly, the deformed face of a deadly crank was lunging out from the car window, it's hand stretching forward to grab her.

A loud scream escaped her lips and she felt her throat burn with a dreadful pain that made her want to cry and drink soup forever. Her first reaction was the run, but Mataya did the exact opposite. Her fist flung forward, and smacked right into the veiny, dark blooded face as she continued to scream.

This definitely wasn't her first encounter with the terrifying looking cranks. The first time etched into her brain like a permanent tattoo that she would endure immense amounts of pain to remove.

The crank stopped screeched momentarily as it's pitch black eyes just lingered on hers -- like the slight humanity left inside of the infected body was suddenly surprised by her outburst. As the crank screamed once more, the flight or flight response registered in Mataya's brain quickly and she pushed off with every ounce of energy left as she sprinted towards the building.

The crank was close by as it quickly clambered out of the car and chased after the dirty brunette girl -- it's arms flung out forward as it ran hot on her heels. She turned her head to look at the crank, the grubby hands skimming her shoulder as it tried to grip her tightly.

"Not today you mother fucker!" She screamed, taking a sudden left turn away from the door she was itching to get too. The crank stopped for a second before it began to run after the girl again. Running to another car she quickly swung the door open, the crank running straight into it as she quickly took a right and was running towards the door again.