FIVE.

[CHAPTER FIVE];

"Cold to the touch but she's warm as a devil"
- Nick Jonas, CHAINS

Mataya watched as Thomas' hands slipped from hers, her eyes watching him carefully as he began to run towards the others. Her eyes lingered on the darkness before a shadow emerged, the brunette's eyes piercing through hers as they flicked to the black device on the ground. The walkie talkie laid face up for the world to see -- the device that almost got Mataya caught once again.

"Brenda said we have to leave right now." Teresa's voice was soft.

Mataya looked at the girl skeptically before nodding and walking past her, a gut wrenching feeling that leaving the brunette alone in that room wasn't the smartest idea. Shaking past it, her eyes found Jorge and Brenda leading the group of teenagers up the stairs towards the escape route.

Music began to blare through the speakers and Mataya instantly tensed. Her eyes shut as Jorge showed them the ropes of the makeshift zip line. She could hear the helicopter outside loud and clear over the music. Jorge was playing his favourite song and that meant they had to leave fast.

If they didn't, they surely were going to regret the aftermath of what would happen. Mataya cringed slightly thinking about being caught up in the threat, WICKED couldn't catch her. This wasn't the end for Mataya, she was made to make a difference in this treterous world.

She didn't spend days in the scorch hiding and covering her tracks for it to end today. Her thoughts of life ending so soon were interrupted and her eyes snapped open when she was pushed to the side, her eyebrows furrowing together as Brenda runs past her.

"Brenda, where are you going?" Thomas voice calls out, making Mataya groan.

"Brenda! We need to go!" Mataya huffs, running after the girl quickly.

Mataya was so caught up in her mind that she didn't notice that everyone had already left the building, leaving a distressed Brenda and Mataya hot on her trail. She was also too busy to notice Thomas had followed.

That wasn't a good sign.

"Brenda! What are you doing!" Mataya called out as Brenda entered a room and began to rummage through drawers. "Brenda, now isn't the time."

"Come on Brenda, we have to go!" Thomas yelled.

"I got it, I got it."

"Come on, come on."

Mataya let out a distressed sigh as Thomas griped the girls arm and tugged her out of the room, Mataya's eyes landing on a silver necklace on the floor. She felt her heart beat quicken and she bent down to grab it, the pads of her fingers rubbing over the cold silver necklace delicately before she gripped it tightly in her hand and shoved it in her pocket. She picked up a lightweight backpack and a knife before running after the two, but not before colliding straight into them to notice that they hadn't gotten very far.

Mataya's eyes watched the men in black take cover as Brenda took out her gun and began to fire. Mataya griped the knife tightly in her hand as Brenda began to yell at Thomas to go. Thomas's hand flew out to grab Mataya's and she let him tug her through another door, her eyes still lingering on the men as they pressed the trigger.

Sparks began to fly and Mataya turned around just in time to jump over the bed and into the hallway, Brenda running in front of Thomas. The glass began to shatter as large bullets whizzed through the air and they ducked quickly trying to avoid getting hurt.

"Come on, quickly!" Brenda yelled as she sprinted down another hallway. "We're running out of time!"

Mataya focused on the music and shut her eyes tightly as she prepared herself for the grand finale - she was still tired, sleep deprived from her horrible nightmares and she used every ounce of strength in her body to push forward and move her legs faster. Running on the platform behind Thomas and Brenda, she could hear them coming close behind her.