TWELVE.

[CHAPTER TWELVE];

GROWING UP, Mataya was always taught to be patient and kind. Good comes to those who wait, and that love, love was one of the best gifts of all. That when she found somebody she loved, to fight for it no matter the cost. When you find something you love, don't let it slip through your fingers. When the time is right, love will either die or blossom into something beautiful. 

There was nothing stronger than the simple, yet undeniable power of human love. Nothing could compare to it, and at the end of the day; no matter how little humanity you had left, no matter how far off the rails you are, love comes into play. 

Love is powerful.

There was a difference when it came to loving family members, to loving a lover. Her love for her family was strong, and she would do anything for them, but the difference between the love for her family -- that is no longer present -- and the love for Thomas was evident. Mataya bent over backwards to please Thomas, she would risk her life in a matter of seconds, without another thought and she would risk being caught by WICKED to show him she cared. 

When Mataya lost her parents and brother, she no longer could say those three words that held such powerful meaning. She couldn't even think of the world love without feeling her heart shatter and a heavy weight of darkness cascade over her. 

She had no longer believed in love until this very moment. 

Mataya knew Thomas wouldn't do anything to hurt her, she knows his heart, she knows him and she knows he wouldn't hurt her. But it that moment, she didn't think it would completely shatter down on her, like the world was collapsing and her heart was in pieces. By one thing, by something so stupid. 

Mataya didn't know she was capable of love until that very moment, when they lost. 

"We fight." 

There was silence for a split second before Minho finally spoke, "Why didn't you run?" 

Thomas shook his head, his eyes flickering over to Minho, "I'm tired of running." 

Mataya hadn't agreed more with Thomas in that moment, with her hair still shielding her face she sucked in a breath. She couldn't run anymore, she couldn't hide. She was slowly breaking down with every inch they got farther from WICKED, because although she may be one step ahead, WICKED was 10 and has checkmate lined up. 

The Right Arm was an absolute disaster now, flames dancing in the wind as they turned everything to ashes. Everyone on their knees as they awaited whatever it was they were waiting for. The look of defeat was evident on most faces, anger on others, determination on few. 

A bright light came into view around them, the sound of air beating in submission as the large hovercraft came into view. The sand from beneath them swirled in the air and Mataya squinted her eyes so she wouldn't be blinded by it. Coughs erupted around the Right Arm and the wind was so strong it pushed Mataya back onto her butt. 

She was thankful for that, her old wound throbbing in a weird ache from sitting for too long. She had tried pushing aside the pain that had developed from her wounds but, it was there like a permanent scar that she couldn't rid of. For now, she would have to suck the pain up. 

The large hovercraft landed on the ground safely and the blades slowly came to a stop. Mataya didn't bother sitting back up on her knees, she was at a fair advantage of hiding down there. The large doors slowly opened, and more WICKED soldiers marched out, weapons in hand and the same outfit as the others.