SANYASI OR THE ASCETIC(play)

Rabindranath Tagore

SCENE I

SANYASI।

{outside the cave}. The division of days and nights is not for me, nor that of months and years. For me, the stream of time has stopped, on whose waves dances the world, like straws and twigs. In this dark cave I am alone, merged in myself, and the eternal night is still, like a mountain lake afraid of its own depth. Water oozes and drips from the cracks, and in the pool float the ancient frogs. I sit chanting the incantation of nothingness. The world's limits recede, line after line. The stars, like sparks of fire, flown from the anvil of time, are extinct; and that joy is mine which comes to the God Shiva, when, after aeons of dream, he wakes up to Find himself alone in the heart of the infinite annihilation. I am free, I am the great solitary One. When I was thy slave, O Nature, thou didst set my heart against itself, and madest it carry the Fierce war of suicide through its world. Desires, that have no other ends, but to feel upon themselves and all that comesto their mouths, lashed m into fury. I ran about, madly chasing my shadow. Thou droves me with thy lightning lashes of pleasure into the void of satiety And the hungers, who are thy decoys, ever led me into the endless famine, where food turned into dust, and drink into vapour.

Till, when my world was spotted with tears and ashes, took my oath, that I would have revenge upon thee, interminable Appearance, mistress of endless disguises. I took shelter in the darkness, the castle of the Infinite, and fought the deceitful light, day after day, till it lost all its weapons and la powerless at my feet. Now, when I am free of fear and desire' when the mist has vanished, and my reason shines pure and bright, let me go out into the kingdom of lies, and sit upon its heart, untouched and unmoved.

SCENE II

SANYASI।

(by the roadside). How small is this earth and confined, watched and followed by the persistent horizons. The trees, houses, and crowd of things are pressing upon my eyes. The light, like a cage, has shut out the dark eternity; and the hours hop and cry within its barriers, like prisoned birds. But why are these noisy men rushing on, and for what purpose? They seem always afraid of missing something, the something that never comes to their hands.

(The crowd passes.)

(Enter a VILLAGE ELDER and two WOMEN.)

FIRST WOMAN।

O my, O my! You do make me laugh.

SECOND WOMAN।

But who says you are old?

VILLAGE ELDER।

There are fools who judge men by their outside.

FIRST WOMAN।

How sad! We have been watching your outside from our infancy. It is just the same all through these years.

VILLAGE ELDER।

Like the morning sun.

FIRST WOMAN।

Yes, like the morning sun in its shining baldness.

VILLAGE ELDER।

Ladies, you are overcritical in your taste. You notice things that are unessential.

SECOND WOMAN।

Leave off your chatter, Ananga. Let us hasten home, or my man will be angry.

FIRST WOMAN।