sealed

Day 13

For the first time in forever, Paige woke up with a smile. She just grinned to herself and stretched relaxing. She felt so free and light , literally she was floating on cloud nine.

When she got to the kitchen, she saw a post it on the fridge. The post it wrote :

I'm back!! Most probably I am still sleeping when you are reading this. I came back at midnight ok.
xoxo Mum

She rolled her eyes and went to prepare breakfast for both herself and her mom. While humming a tune as she took out the ingredients, she heard someone coming down the stairs. She looked up and saw that it was her mom with her messed up bed hair.

" Hey mom! " She greeted her mom and quickly poured skim milk into a glass and handed it to her.

" Hey baby. " Her mom greeted her back tiredly.

Paige felt like her life was maybe finally coming into place, her mom was home and she and River was closer. Pushing all thoughts about her father to the back of her mind, sealed into a box.

She twirled around and played some upbeat songs on her songs like she wasn't depressed a week ago. As she flipped the pancake, her mother was reading the newspaper.

" Here you go mother! " Paige exclaimed as she put two pancakes on the plate with a swirl of maple syrup and a cube of butter on top of the pancakes.

As her mother dig in, she said in between bites, " Paige, this is delicious. When did you ever learnt to cook like this. "

Paige blushed and said, " I just cook a lot " while adding in her head, " and because you are never at home to cook for me "

Trying to not think about the negative thought, she just dug into the heavenly food. Suddenly the door bell rang, she told her mom, " I'll open the door. "

When Paige opened the door, she saw a middle aged man standing in front of her. And when he looked at her, she saw a pair of eyes the colour of dark chocolate. There was no way she will ever forget these pair of eyes.

She breathed out, " Dad. " And just like that, all her thoughts about him burst from the sealed box and surrounded her entire brain.

But funnily enough, her vision soon became black and the last thing that she heard was a deep voice shouting, " Paige! "

-
Paige cracked opened her eyes and looked at her surroundings. She was in her bed and she was thinking of going back to sleep when she remembered what happened. She fainted.

She quietly made her way to the stairs, trying not to attract attention. She knew that her parents were talking in the living room and she wanted to eavesdrop them. Sitting at the corner of the stairs, she tried to make out what they were saying.

" So James...welcome back to North Dakota I guess. "

" Thank you. I'm glad you and Paige are doing well after all these years. "

" You....you didn't keep your promise. Your company was already successful 2 years ago but you didn't come back.... "

" You have to know that although my company was successful, but I wanted to make sure that it will continue to be more successful to ensure that we will have a better life. "

" But we were having a life just fine, with you and I having normal jobs and a normal life. "

" I wanted to achieve my dream of being my own boss. And now that I finally achieved that, I won't neglect you or Paige anymore. I'm here to stay."