whirlwind

Day 22

Paige cracked opened her eyes as she woke up. As she got ready for school, she stared at the mirror. She scrutinised her reflection. Her hair was unkempt, her eyes were dull and her clothes were wrinkly. Suddenly, she felt this determined feeling that somehow seeped into her heart.

She whispered to herself, " That's it. I'll just forget about Lance and River. I will just think that it was a dream and nothing happened. Everything is normal."

When she walked into the school, the whispering started and the students were whispering nasty stuff about her. She rationalises with herself, " this is the normal stuff I go through everyday and I can take the whispering like I always do. "

She took out her stuff from the locker like always. She liked this routine... The routine that had no drama in it. The pretence was all destroyed when she saw Lance leaning against the locker next to hers when she closed her locker.

Lance grinned with his pearly whites, " How is my best friend doing today? "

She had to keep the pretence going. She had to forget them forever. She struggled to say the words that she was trying to convey. She said, " Do...Do I know you? "

Lance laughed uncertainly, " Yeah of course.... You are my best friend! "

She blinked at him as if she did not understand him. She replied, " I don't have a best friend. "

The happiness in his eyes in just that split second was gone. He stuttered, " Wha-what are you talking about? Why are you doing this to me? I know you know me! Stop trying to act like you don't! " He shouted at the end and people were looking at them.

She tried to keep up the pretence by saying soothingly, " Calm down... I really don't know you. Please leave me alone. "

-

Lance told everything to River. He looked shocked and was silent for a few minutes before he spoke up, " Did you think why she would do this? "

Lance instantly replied, " No shit Sherlock! She was too hurt because your pretty ass went to Shirley! Now she even refuses to acknowledge me!! Can you speed up the process? It's a fucking stupid idea in the first place! I shouldn't even allow you to do this . "

River was hurt by Lance comment but he was trying to be understanding because in the end it was his decision even if it was because of Paige.. He sighed and said, " one day. Give me one more day. "

Lance looked at him, with the slightest hatred in his eyes. He said, " One more day and that's it. If you don't solve it by one more day. I'll not be your friend. "

River knew he had to do it now or forever hold his peace. He called Shirley, " Hey babe? Can I meet you somewhere in like a few minutes? "

-

What have I done.
What have I done.
What have I done.

The questions repeated in Paige's head since the time when she acted like she did not know Lance. She immediately regretted it and followed by a crying session in the washroom.

She sat at her bed and immediately picked up her phone. She looked at Lance's contact number and wanted to call him. But she was a coward and did not all him.

She breathed in and breathed out as she tried to calm herself down. She hoped that he would get the message and make both sides easy to let go. She thought, " River, it's all your fault. Only if you did not meet me. Maybe all this will not happen. Maybe I won't be sadder than before. "

Then she thought, " What if I disappeared from this world?? Then I will never ever have to see them again. "