Chapter 19

"Lithuania, we're going to be late!" Canada called up the stairs.

It was very strange. They had been dating for two years and Lithuania had never taken this long to get ready for an event, especially something as significant as New Year's Eve. In fact, he was normally the first one ready.

When there was no response, Canada went upstairs and asked again,

"Lithuania?"

At that moment, Poland entered the room with an unusually grim expression on his face.

He knocked on the door once.

"Liet?"

When they heard a muffled whimper in reply, they both entered the room. Lithuania was curled up in the corner with his head in his arms, hyperventilating and trembling.

"Lithuania!" Canada rushed forward and wrapped his arms around him, "What happened?"

"I-I-I-I-I..." Lithuania couldn't get a word out.

Poland sighed and knelt next to them on the floor.

"Do you need me to get a paper bag?" He asked.

Lithuania tensed and shook his head quickly. Canada frowned and ran his fingers through Lithuania's hair.

"You're going to be okay. Can you tell me what's wrong?"

Lithuania tried to stammer something out, but gave up and buried his face in Canada's shoulder.

"Liet?" Poland put his hand on Lithuania's knee.

"Deep breaths. Can you do that for me?" Canada whispered.

Lithuania drew in a shaky breath, but let it out too quickly and it did nothing for his breathing.

"I-I-I d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d..."

"I just need you to breathe, okay?"

Lithuania managed a nod and struggled to breathe evenly. Finally, after a few minutes, they managed to calm him down.

"Are you going to be okay?" Poland asked.

"I think so. I'm sorry about this."

"Don't be sorry. There was nothing you could do." Canada said.

Lithuania just sighed.

"So what caused that anyways?" Poland asked.

"I-I..." Lithuania bit his lip.

"You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable." Canada reassured him.

Looking away, Lithuania pulled his knees into his chest.

"Liet, is it...?"

He nodded once.

"What are you two talking about?" Canada asked, growing even more concerned.

The two looked at each other.

"You should tell him." Poland said.

Lithuania hesitated before nodding.

"W-when I was living at Mr. Russia's house, he... he wasn't always mentally stable. According to Estonia, he still has his moments, but from what I gather, he's been getting better. Anyways, sometimes, during his... his fits, he would get very angry and..." His voice trailed off.

"What did he do?" Canada asked, trying to mask the horror in his voice.

"He would sometimes hurt me. I know that it wasn't him doing it, but..."

Canada placed a kiss on Lithuania's head and rubbed circles on his back.

"Is that what triggered your panic attack?"

"W-well... it was more that I was worried about you finding out and... well, I still have scars, so..." His voice caught in his throat.

"I'm sorry." Canada whispered, "I'm so sorry."

Lithuania just shook his head against his shoulder.

"Maybe we should stay in for New Year's this year." Poland suggested, "We can watch movies or something."

"No, no! I don't want to ruin this for you." Lithuania said quickly.

"What we want more than anything is for you to be happy, okay?" Canada said.

After a long pause, Lithuania nodded.

"Thank you..."