Chapter Thirty Two

"Jacob," Melanie called, knocking on his door. He opened up and invited her inside, and then they sat on the edge of his bed together in silence. It was insane how different his room looked with a baby crib in the corner. The walls seemed closer and more childish than they ever had. "So, what's up?"

    "What's up?" Jacob asked. "What's up! First off we're trapped in this hell hole! And we're probably going to end up dying here. Does that not bother you?"

    Melanie nodded in agreement but then shook her head; Jacob looked to her, confused with her lack of words. "It used to," She said. "I thought dying was the only way out of here."

    "What changed?"

    "One day I woke up, and Chloe was laying in the white padded room with me," Melanie answered, glancing to the camera and then turning back to Jacob. "Something about the way she talked, telling me everything was going to be okay. It felt right when she said it. Now I know why she did."

    "Why?" He asked.

    "We have nothing left," She told him before patting his leg and staring off into space. "Except the one thing he can never take away from us. " Jacob waited for her to tell him what it was, but it seemed like she never would. He opened his mouth to speak but Melanie's words stopped him, "Hope." Time passed on as they both sat there in silence, but this wasn't what Melanie had come upstairs to talk about. "So, why don't you tell me what's really wrong?"

    "I already told you."

    "Is it Chloe?" Melanie asked. "Do you really hate her that badly? It wasn't her choice to kiss you, he made her."

    "I know," Jacob replied. "I know he made her, but I wish he hadn't."

    "Elaborate."

    "I wanted our first kiss to mean something, not to be forced."