Chapter Seventy

David entered the kitchen and untied Rachel's motionless body. It was cruel to keep her in the kitchen and undesirable to look at every day. He lifted her body and carried her up the stairs to Melanie's old room, her own old room, and laid her on top of the bed. The pillowcase came off easily revealing her same old face, yet unidentifiably different now that she was gone. Her eyes shut but her mouth open wide. David closed her jaw so that her lips touched and kept together. "You should've just cooperated," He said. "Why didn't you just answer the questions?" He sat on the edge of the bed and waited for an answer he knew wasn't coming.

After a long while, he returned to his room and climbed onto the bed. The power hadn't gone out yet and he wasn't going to wait for it to. Another day wasted wouldn't ruin anything, and he didn't want to talk about what had happened earlier. What they had done to Rachel or anything else. He needed time to let it all sink in, preferably in privacy. David closed his eyes and tried to think of anything other than Rachel, but she haunted his thoughts and dreams, pushing him to the breaking point.

David woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, shaking with tears welling up in his eyes. He had just remembered Rachel's first day in the house. The way she seemed so calm and in control, completely opposite of how everyone else had been. Ever since that day, he thrived to be like her. Calm, collected, and understanding of whatever lied before him. She was too good to be true, almost like she knew more than him. Apparently she had. She had been working with them all along, with him.

He rolled onto his side and stared at the wall. The door to his bedroom cracked open and light flooded into the room. Margaret carried Collin in, sat him on the bed next to David, and then disappeared into the hall again. She returned with his crib, luckily it folded up neatly and was light. She placed it in the corner, laid Collin to rest for the night before joining David under the covers, pulling herself close to his body for the millionth time in the past couple of months. They each had their own separate rooms, yet they almost always slept in the same bed as one another, for comfort they first claimed. Now she wasn't so sure if that was the reason anymore.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Define okay."

"Sane being yes and crazy being no."

"Then yes," He answered. Her arm wrapped around him and pulled him in closer than they already were. Margaret kissed his cheek and rubbed his shoulder in a circular motion, soothing his distraught muscles. "Are you okay?"

"Not entirely," She replied. "But I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about."

"You shouldn't  be."

"But I am," Margaret said. "And I always will be."

The two of them fell asleep in each others arm, both involuntarily thinking of Rachel and wondering how things could've been different. How things should've been different.