Chapter Forty Seven

Melanie woke up back in the white padded room; she checked her wrist. There were still only two X's. Had the man decided to play fair, she wondered, looking around for a way out, even though Melanie knew there wasn't one. This room was all too familiar. The chains were back on her ankle, the door was shut and locked, and the walls seemed move closer by the minute. She sat in the corner of the room and stared at the door, waiting for it to open up so she could return to the house.

At least twenty four hours passed and Melanie hadn't even been given a meal. Her stomach grumbled loudly, it was only a matter of time before exhaustion would win and her mind would force her to take a nap. Sleeping was the last thing she wanted to do. The door opened up and then the hologram appeared. Melanie left the room and journeyed down the hallway towards the red door. The process went by smoothly, but when she opened up the door in front of her, she was greeted with unfamiliar faces.

Melanie took a step back and shook her head, unwilling to enter this new life. The others in the house reached out to her and tried to yank her in, but the guards came to retrieve her too fast. She was carried back down the hall and into the white padded room.

Finally, a man wearing nothing but black and a mask brought Melanie a tray with food and a note. She ate through the meal, liking the dish after it was all gone before even glancing in the direction of the small folded paper. Her hands grabbed it and positioned it to be read clearly.

We have a new agenda for you.

She stared at the piece of paper and then growled, tore it apart, and crawled back into her corner. A man walked by the door and peeked in for a moment; he jumped back, startled by the ferocious Melanie sitting in the room. He saw nothing but a savage creature through his eyes, and she saw nothing but a monster watching her suffer. If only the two of them could tell what the other was thinking, then maybe their opinions would've been different.