Chapter Fifty Three

Melanie sat in the corner of the white padded room and waited for the door to open up and lead her to what she knew was coming. The inevitable, her punishment, she was supposed to have three strikes. She knew Chloe had only given her false hope; there was no escaping this prison or him. Melanie reached up to her ear, but the device that was usually hanging around it was no longer there. She wanted him to tell her what to do, so she could make up for her mistake, so she could redeem herself in his eyes.

She stared at the door and waited. Food was brought to her at intervals that seemed days apart, even though she knew the time in between was never longer than twelve hours. Melanie stared at the door, ignoring her food, ignoring the camera in the corner, ignoring the chain around her ankle, she just waited and waited. The door opened up and three guards entered the room.

One of them unlocked the chain around her ankle, and the other two interlocked one of their elbows with her before leading her down the hallway in the opposite direction she was used to. They kept walking and turning before reaching a door with a scanner. One of the guards lifted his mask and the machine set of working; then the door cracked open and the three of them pulled her in.

Melanie considered her options carefully. Attack and run, or wait it out until it was safe. Her decision was made for her as they finally entered a room with a metal table in the center. Straps were hanging off the edges, and a machine was sitting next to one of the ends.

"What is this?" Melanie asked, wishing she would've kept her mouth shut. She knew the answer wouldn't help.

"Therapy," One of the guards said; then he lifted her over his shoulder and carried her to the table. Melanie kicked and punched him, he fell to his knees, and then Melanie jumped up and backed against the wall, avoiding the other two guards closing in on her. They reached forward, and she slashed at them with her hands. A guard grabbed her wrist and bent it awkwardly; she fell to her knees in pain, pulling with what she thought was every bit of her strength.

The other guard stepped forward and picked her legs up; they placed her on the table and hooked her to the table. The man Melanie had kicked was now on his feet. The other guards turned to him, he motioned for them to leave. Melanie pulled her arms up, surprisingly, the guards hadn't tightened them enough. She was only able to rise a few inches off the table, but it was enough to get a good view of the lone guard still standing in the room. He waited until the door was closed before approaching the machine and removing two chords from the top.

He placed them on the sides of her head, and she wiggled to shake them off, but they were stuck to her head. "What are you doing?" Melanie asked, yanking herself up. She fell back down hard and then leaned her head back to find the man upside down, standing behind the machine. He removed the mask from his face. "No freaking way."

The guard flipped a switch and then Melanie's body jolted upward, pulling against the restraints. She fell back down onto the table hard and screamed out in pain. A ringing noise filled her ears, and after it was gone, she heard the girl's voice say, "I'm getting my revenge."