Chapter Forty Eight

Chloe woke up to the sound of a slam; she jumped up from her bed and ran down the hall. Jacob almost bumped into her as he too exited his room in a panic. David and Margaret joined them, somehow Collin hadn't woken up with all the commotion. The four of them took a couple seconds to prepare before searching the living room for the source of the sound.

Chloe checked the kitchen on her own, noticing that the table had been moved. She quietly skooched it back into place before Jacob pulled up behind her and rested his head on her shoulder. He yawned loudly, halting any other sound in the house. "What are you doing?" She asked.

"What he's telling me."

Jacob wrapped his arms around Chloe's waist and swayed back and forth; then the stairs began to creak. Melanie must've been coming down, Chloe thought, but she never said a word. He spun her around to face the living room. They were alone. David and Margaret had gone back to bed.

"Aren't you mad at me?" Chloe asked, stepping back and forth from side to side.

"No," Jacob whispered into her ear. "I know you only left because he made you."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I'm afraid that I know you all too well," He said, and then Chloe turned to look at him. Did he know her all too well?

A thought of happiness flooded Chloe's mind, and she closed her eyes as they continued their rhythm filled swaying. Jacob's lips found her neck. Her lips found his cheek. The sweet scent of him filled her every thought, keeping her in his arms. Jacob removed himself from Chloe, and then she stumbled forward before turning back to find nothing and no one. She looked around the kitchen, considering the idea of him hiding from her, but he wasn't. Chloe lifted the floor under the table to reveal the still intact padlock.

Chloe questioned her sanity as she sat in her usual spot at the table. Was she really this mad? Hallucinations taking over her mind, mixing up reality and falsity.