Chapter 18

Selena's POV

It turned out that Danny definitely knew what I liked. As we pulled up at the large black building, I was confused. It looked dead, empty and deserted. A large pink neon sign read, 'Lucky Voice' over the doorway.

As Danny opened my door, he grasped my hand and clamped his other hand over my eyes.

"Again?" I exclaimed, exasperated. I heard Danny chuckle, then he led me forward.

"Watch your step..." He said, and I felt a warm blast of air as we walked inside, down a couple of steps. I heard him talk to somebody, a man I think, then Danny led me on again.

Finally Danny lifted his hand from my eyes and I sighed, then grinned as I saw the sight before me.

We were in a small room, a booth, alone. The floor was carpeted in a rich red, and the walls were hung with a thick black fabric. A sofa lined one wall, while four microphones on stands lined the other, attached to a sophisticated karaoke machine. A panel with buttons on and a screen stood near the microphones. Lucky Voice...

"A karaoke bar?" I cried incredulously, turning to Danny.

"Yup," He replied. "I thought we could have a go at a few songs." He grinned and I returned the smile.

"Show me how it works!" I ran over to the panel and started pressing buttons. Danny chuckled.

As I scrolled through the songs and then picked my favourite, Danny ordered our drinks. "What d'you want?" He asked, looking at the menu on the panel. I scanned it and shrugged.

"Er... The Cranberry and Lime Smirnoff please." One part of my brain screamed at me not to have alcohol after my last experience, but I ignored it.

I quickly chose a song that stood out at me, grabbing a mic. The song started to play and Danny laughed as he recognised it.

"Really?" He questioned. I giggled and threw him a mic.

"Come on, it'll be fun!" I cried, not needing to watch the screen as the lyrics popped up. "She's got a smile that it seems to me, reminds me of childhood memories, where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky..." I began. Danny grinned at me, that smile he knew I loved, then carried on.

"Now and then when I see her face, it reminds me of that special place, and if I stared too long I'd probably break down and cry..." I smiled back, loving the way his Irish accent came through in the lyrics. That voice...

Danny's POV

Lena and I laughed and sang together for over an hour. We'd downed around six or seven cocktails but neither of us seemed to be affected by them. Still, I had one more surprise for Lena.

Halfway through Iris, by The Goo Goo Dolls, my phone buzzed. I carried on singing and grinned at Lena, tapping a few buttons on my phone. It was Jessie.

ON R WAY X

I smiled and sent my reply, glad that Lena was singing the verse, not noticing me tapping away.

K C U IN A BIT :)

Yeah, so I didn't like putting kisses back all of the time. Jessie put them to everyone, even the delivery guy who texted to say he was on his way. Smilie faces were more my style.

I looked back at Lena and watched as she sang into the mic, reading the lyrics on the screen. I loved the way she sang. She was just so pure and innocent, just perfect. She caught me watching and laughed, frowning. I rejoined the song and grinned.

"And I don't want the world to see me... 'cos I don't think that they'd understand... When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am..." Now it was Lena's turn to stare. "What?" I asked and she laughed. It was such a nice laugh.