Chapter 6: Real or fake?

(next day: Thursday)

I heard a knock on my door. "Who is it?" I asked, walking up to the door. "Good girl. Now let me in." I sighed. "Forget it, Kale. I didn't agree to this. And I certainly didn't agree to this outfit!" I looked down at myself. Lauren had showed up in my room half an hour ago and handed me a pair of leggings and a dress.

"Come on. I bet you look really cute." I heard him whine from behind the door. No, this time, I was going to win this fight. "No, I'm not going to wear this dress. Besides, the leggings don't fit." "Then just wear jeans underneath." I sighed. He did have a point there.

"I don't want to go out with your friends." I walked over to my bed. "You don't even know them." He chuckled. He was obviously having fun with this. I could hear it in his voice. "Can't we keep it that way? I'm sure you've figured out I'm not a people person." He laughed. "Neither am I."

I sat down on my bed. "I don't want to go." There was a long pause. I started to think Kale left. "Kale?" I stood up and went to the door. It was quiet. Slowly, I unlocked the door and opened it. He was standing there, smiling at me. "See, I knew you'd look beautiful." I scoffed and started to close the door again, but he pushed it open and walked in.

"Alright, we don't have to hang out with them today, but you have to at least go on a date with me." I turned around, frowning. "Where?" He chuckled. "Anywhere. We can do whatever you want, go anywhere you want. It's all up to you." I raised an eyebrow at him. "And what's the catch?"

He grinned. "You have to wear that tomorrow when we go with my friends, as planed." I nodded, sighing. At least I can put of meeting his friends for a day. "Alright. Let me change." He nodded, then jumped on my bed, watching me. "Go ahead. We're dating, so it's okay." I just shook my head, grabbed a pair of loose jeans, a soft black shirt, and my boots. I went into the bathroom, changed, and found Kale waiting at the door.

"You ready?" I nodded, threw the former outfit on my desk and walked out of the room with him and my key. "So what do you want to do? Where do you wanna go?" He asked. I shrugged. "I dunno." He chuckled. "Are you hungry?" I looked down the hall, seeing barely any people here. "I guess."

"Let's go get some dinner." We walked to the cafeteria. Most kids were away for the break, but the few that were there just ignored us. I was glad. Maren and Josh started either ignoring me or giving me dirty looks. Whenever they looked like they were going to say or do anything, Kale showed up or was with me and they left or didn't do anything.

I got some pierogies and french fries. He got a cheeseburger and onion rings. I made a face at him when we sat down. "What? You don't like onion rings?" I shook my head. "Why not?" I shrugged. "Can't tolerate the taste I guess."

He smiled and kept eating. "So, tell me something about yourself." I ate a french fry. "Like what?" He shrugged. "Anything. Favorite things, interests, hobbies..." I thought about it. "I'm a picky eater, I'm interested in anything, and I don't have hobbies." He chuckled. "These are all things anyone could've guessed."

I shrugged. "Probably. What about you?" He raised an eyebrow, seeming interested about something. "What can you guess about me?" I looked at him carefully, willing to accept the challenge. "You're confident to the point of cockiness. You ditch class nearly every day, yet you maintain good grades-from what gossip is like these days-so you're probably smarter than you put off. You're picky when it comes to girls. Average clothing, yet you're not a people person."

We sat there for a moment before he busted into a fit of laughter. "Was I off about something?" I asked curiously. He nodded, calming down. "You were off on a few details except for one thing." He smiled. "I do only have eyes for one person." His smile was directed at me. I looked away, blushing. My hair blocked my face.