Chapter 16: Reunions

As I walked out of the school and into the woods, I felt on edge. I don't know why. I looked around and saw nothing but trees and small amounts of grass. I quickened my pace. Then, I heard it, the sound of a twig snapping. My head jolted up. Footsteps. Someone was walking, somewhere close by.

I calmed myself. Kale and I aren't the only ones around here. There are several students still here who are waiting for rides. By the third week of vacation, everyone's gone. As I neared the garden, I saw the person I heard. It was a boy, probably in the same grade as me. His back was faced to me. He seemed familiar.

When I was about two feet away from him, he spoke. "Hello...Elli." I froze on the spot, my heart freezing along with my body. That voice...that name... "It's been a long time." Turning around, I saw his gray eyes. I saw his short black hair. The most important part of all, I saw his expression, sadness and anger.

I couldn't speak. I could barely breath. He looked me over. "Are you going to say something?" I remembered everything that happened to us, before and after that night, and shook my head. He scoffed. "Because of that promise, right?" I nodded and looked down, feeling like I did months ago, like a robot.

(Kale's POV-point.of.view.- headmaster's office)

I stood in front of the headmaster, frowning. "What do you mean he's here?" The man in his forties sighed. "I mean just that. He came here to visit the grounds." He looked up at me regretfully. "I'm sorry, but I can't stop him from enrolling in this school because of one student...Even if you do have feelings for her."

I sighed angrily. "I know." I started to walk to the door. "What are you going to do Kale?" I didn't turn around. "I'm going to keep my promise to her." I said before running out. I knew where she would be. I just hope she didn't see him yet.

(Ellain's POV)

He stared down at me. "Tell me, why did you come here?" I answered in a monotone voice. "My parents made me. They thought that you were hurting me." He laughed, then sighed calmly. "If only they knew how wrong they were..." He lifted my chin up with his finger, forcing me to look up at him.

At first, he still seemed angry, but then...he grinned. "I've been talking to anyone I could find here." I didn't say anything, knowing what he was about to ask. "Are you cheating on me?" I shook my head slightly. "No." He paused. "Are you dating someone else?"

I wanted to say no, but I knew he could tell I would be lying. "Yes." "A boy named Kale?" I nodded. He chuckled and let me go. "I thought so." There was a pause. "So you're still a virgin?" He said it with amusement, as if mocking me. I nodded, not saying anything. I didn't want to say one word unless he said so.

"Do you remember the promise you made to me before you left?" I nodded, thinking back. He looked at me, now completely serious. "I want you to say it." I took a small breath. "It was a week after that night. We were at Axel's funeral. I stayed in the church after the service, during the burial. You ran in and yelled at me, saying that it was my fault. I was...broken like I am now."

I paused. "I nodded and said it was my fault and I didn't deserve to live. I had hurt you so much...so, I made you a promise, and you me." He nodded. "You promised me that your life, body, and even name was mine forever." I nodded. He smirked. "You were so full of guilt back then, even though you didn't remember anything from that night..." I didn't say anything. He sighed and turned around. "So, you're going to follow through on your promise right?"

"Yes." I answered, lowering my head again. "Good, because I want you to do something." He turned around. "When summer break is over, and my transfer here is completed, I want to attempt to 'start over' again." He put his hand to my cheek. It was cold... "Since you made that promise, you have shown no emotion to me and do everything I say. I will make you show emotion to me, even if you hate me."