Chapter 30: Settling down

Sorry I haven't written in a while. I'm not going to be updating for a while. I am currently enlisted into the military and am off to basic trainging in exactly one week. I won't be able to update until August then. This story, and another story I just published will be finished by then. :) please read my other one. It's called something greater than blood and it's a vampire story. If you liked this, you'll like/love it.

The doors closed and I rested my head down. "It's finally over isn't it?" I asked no one in particular. Kale nodded, holding my hand tightly. "Why didn't you tell me what you were going to do?" He sounded hurt and angry. I looked him in the eyes, my guilt overflowing. "I knew that Mike would never believe me if you didn't react the way you had...I didn't know that he'd suspect me though..."

The rest of the ride to the hospital was quiet. When we got there, they looked me over. "Your arm is stitched now and you have a concussion, so we'd like to keep you overnight. We called your parents. They'll be here shortly." I nodded. Kale refused to leave my side, so they looked him over while Gonzalas and Jones asked us questions.

I sighed. I've been writing now for three hours. I think it's time for a break. Standing up from my desk in my dorm room, I stretched and looked at the clock. It's only two-thirty. All of us, Kale, Lauren, Riley, Scot, and I would be going to Kale's father's house for the week in about half an hour. Thanksgiving was two days from now.

Kale insisted that our parents should spend it together. So, his mom and step dad, Laurens biological parents, would be with us along with my parents. Scot and Riley were joining us because Scott and Lauren were now dating. That and both Scott's and Riley's parents were out of the country and wouldn't make it back in time. That's what they think anyway...

Grabbing the jacket Kale gave me, I put it on, put my bags by the door, grabbed my key, and left the dorms, heading for the garden. I haven't been there in a really long while. I don't think Kale has either. I didn't ask him. Things between us have been great. Mostly, we've been like how we were before I got that letter from Mike. I've been a bit happier, knowing everything now.

I walked through the trees, looking all around. Winter was definitely here. All of the trees were leafless, and all of the leaves were gone. The thin layer of snow on the ground made crunching noises under my feet. It's been months since I was back here...

I ducked under the bush, into the secret garden. The flowers were either dead or in hibernation. I'd have a lot of work to do in the spring. "Boo!" I didn't jump or flinch. Turning around, I saw Kale, smiling. "Scared you!" He teased. I didn't move or say anything. "El?" He asked, confused but still smiling.

I stayed stone faced, not showing any emotion. Now he was worried. "Ellain?" He asked, getting closer to me. I jumped at him with a scary face, making him jump back against the bush. I started cracking up, holding my stomach because it was hurting so much from laughing. Kale frowned for a moment before grinning devilishly. "Oh, so you want to play like that?"

He got a fistful of snow and started chasing me around the garden. "Ah!" I screamed as he shoved it in my face. I tripped him, making him land on his face. He started groaning, making me worry about him. "Kale? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." I was cut off when he grabbed me by my waist, tackling me to the ground.

Taking a handful of snow, he shoved it on my lips, chin, and neck. "Stop it!" I yelled, frowning. I started to shiver as he threw the handful of snow away, laughing. "Why'd you do that?" I frowned, a bit ticked off. He grinned like an idiot, his 'famous' look. "Payback, besides, didn't you enjoy it?"

I frowned, brushing off the snow as he leaned over me. My head was starting to get cold from the snow. "No, now I'm freezing." He grinned, becoming sexy. "Then I'll have to warm you up." Leaning forward, he started to lick the snow off of my neck. His warm tongue sent shivers up my spine, making me jerk.