Chapter 19 Rollercoaster

I dreamt of the field. The one Kale and I were just at. I kept seeing star after star shinning brighter and brighter, until I was blinded by the light. I didn't know what to think. My head was blank and my body stiff.

Then, I felt a pair of hands go on my arms. "Shh...it's okay baby." I heard a male voice say, as if trying to comfort me. It only did the opposite. I was still blinded and couldn't see. It was one of those moments where I realized I was dreaming and I couldn't wake up.

Wake up. Wake up. I kept telling myself. "...then you're going to let me break my neck?" I felt the hands let go of me. This voice...it was Axel's... There was silence. "Axel?!" I said, desperate to find him. "You know what to do..." I heard him whisper.

I opened my eyes and took a deep breath, sitting up in a cold sweat. "Axel..." I whispered. Looking around, I saw it was barely light outside. Genny was still in bed. I took a few deep breaths before quietly getting out of bed and getting a change of cloths from my dresser.

Going into the bathroom, I started changing into a pair of jeans and kept the tank top I was wearing on. I couldn't think about the dream, or memory. I wasn't even thinking. I just moved on instinct and impulse. After quietly putting my cloths on the bed, I closed the door and went downstairs.

The entire mansion was quiet. It was a little unnerving. I went into the kitchen, expecting it to be empty too. I was shocked to find a tall man with the refrigerator opened. I could only see that he was tall, muscular, and had short brown hair.

I stopped in my tracks and watched for a moment. I don't remember seeing him yesterday. "Good morning to you too." I recognized the voice. It was the 'cowboy' from the barn yesterday. He closed the door, revealing the rest of him.

He was wearing worn jeans and a dark blue flannel tucked in and sleeves rolled, with the hat of course. I heard a small thump and looked down to see him wearing a pair of big and heavy boots. I looked up and nodded at him before going into the fridge to find something to drink and maybe eat.

He shrugged and took a glass from the cabinet, put it in the sink, filled it with water, and drank. I went into the same cabinet, took a glass, and filled it with some of the orange juice from the fridge. While I drank, I looked over to see the cowboy looking at me. "So, your the new girl."

I nodded, even though it wasn't a question. He nodded and put the glass in sink. "I didn't think I was the only one to get up before five in the morning, other than Kale of course." I was a bit surprised. For a guy who looked like he belonged on a ranch rather than near a mansion, he didn't sound southern.

He glanced over at me as I put my now empty glass into the sink and made my way to the garden, ready to start early. I heard the cowboy follow me out. "You're not a morning person are you?" His voice made him sound amused. I shrugged and kept walking, heading towards the 'fork in the road/walkway'.

I looked over and saw him walking beside me. He tapped my shoulder and pointed at the barn. "Since you're up, come help me out for a sec'." He started walking for the barn. I shrugged and followed him. As we walked through the barn, I looked in each of the stalls and cages.

There were three horses, two cows, and three pigs. On the right, at the other end, there were a few cages with several different animals; a duck, rabbit, and a snake. We didn't walk slower as we passed them. "I'll introduce you to the group later." I continued to follow him out of the barn from the back way.

There was a small chicken coop to the left. Between that and the barn was a big fenced off area, split into two areas. I looked to my right and saw another, smaller fenced off area. I stopped walking when I saw the cowboy facing me.