First time

A few weeks have past and Jessica has seen Sam around but tries to ignore him.
One day Jessica went to the mall with Sarah.

"Oh my gosh Jessica, there he is!"
"Who?"
"It's Sam! Right there! BE COOL!"
"Oh please!" Jessica rolls her eyes.
"Hey Jessica!"
"Hi Sam."
"So what are you two up to today!"
"Nothing really.." She gives him a look like she wants to leave.
Sarah looks at Jessica and rolls her eyes, "So how are you Sam?"
"I'm doing okay... Hey listen, my friend is having a party this weekend and you two should come."
"Us?  Really?!" Sarah says in a goofy voice.
Jessica elbows her and says, "I'm sorry, I have plans."
"What?  No you don't!" Sarah says as Jessica gives her a look for her to shut the hell up.
"Well alright, but if your plans fall through you can always come to the party.. It's at my place.  I hope I'll see you there." He smirks at Jessica.
"We'll be there!" Sarah yells as Jessica gives her a hard look.

"We are not going to that party!"
"What?  Why?!  I thought you liked him."
"Well I don't know... I don't anymore... I never really did, I just liked the attention."

***

Friday night

"Jessica, come on and get dressed we're going!"
"No we're not!  I don't wanna go."
"Why?"
"I just don't have a good feeling about him.  I don't know maybe I overthink everything but I'd just feel more comfortable if we didn't go."
"Alright fine, you win!"

A few months have past and Sam has taken the hint and slowly backed away.

Jessica runs into him at they grocery store and suddenly she feels a different way about him.
"Well Jessica.. It's been a while." He smiled at her.
"It has, how are you Sam?"
"Oh I can't complain, how have you been?"
"Pretty good.. So you have a birthday coming up, don't you?"
"I do, I'm actually having a party next weekend and I think you should come by."
"Well I'll try and squeeze it in!" She giggles and starts to move her basket away.
"Haha, well I hope you can make it, feel free to bring your friends too... It was nice seeing you again, Jessica."
"I'll be there, nice seeing you too." She smiled then turned around and let him watch her walk away.

Sam's birthday

Jessica shows up with Sarah and a couple other friends.

"Hey!  You made it!" Sam came up to her, "Yeah!  Happy birthday, Sam!" She hugged him.
"Well thank you, help yourselves to some food and drinks.. There's no parents here so drink whatever you want!" He laughs.

"Well don't mind if I do!" Jessica laughs and grabs a beer.
"Jessica, you shouldn't be drinking!" Sarah says.
"Do I look like I give a fuck?  No, now come on!  I hate to drink alone!" She throws Sarah a beer.

A few drinks later Jessica and Sarah are on the dance floor dancing with two guys.
The guy Jessica's dancing with had a cigarette in his hand.
When the music ends Jessica takes it from his hand and says, "I'll take this!" She takes in a long puff.
"Hmm.. And thanks for the dance."

She stumbles over to the bar to get another drink and Sam stops her, "It's my birthday and you have yet to dance with me." He pulls her back out to the dance floor.
"Oh but my feet hurt!" She whines.
The song changes to a slow song and Sam says, "Well then it's perfect!" He scoops her up and starts to slow dance with her in his arms.
Jessica wraps her arms around his neck and laughs.
"Thank you for coming tonight, Jessica."
"Oh it's no big deal, besides ever since you and my sister don't talk anymore.. I don't know what it is but you've grown on me!" She laughs.
"Well good!" He chuckles.

The song ends and he says, "Thank you for the dance, Jessica."
"No problem, birthday boy." She grabs his face and leans in slowly for a kiss.
"What was that for?" He smiles.
"Well you gave me a kiss on my birthday so I figured I owed you one." She smiles.