8. Steal What is Mine

A/N: 100+ views!!!!!!! OH EM ACCA GGGGGGGGG yeahhhh!!!!!! Thank you so much, my dearest readers. Sorry for the long break, but your bitch is back now. New updates coming soon.

This chapter is dedicated to paulami. She is my beautiful bae, my partner in crime and my guardian angel. Check out her awesome stories!!! Don't forget to like, comment and share!!!

***

Nick shifted for the nth time on the tiny stool. Somehow he could not accommodate his rear on the seat, or his huge frame at this modest Asian mini hotel. The doors had blinds to make sure that the ambience was dark, illuminated only with bright red lights. The seats and tables were small, and looked adequate enough for only one person (though it seated four). The place had two fountains by the entrance with air conditioners that did not function.

Lyanna and Richard looked like they were home, chattering like best friends who were catching up after a long time. He regarded their easy relationship and couldn't help but envy them. He never shared a bond that comfortable with anyone. His mother died when he was too young, his father had washed his hands off him soon after and left him at the mercy of orphanages and foster homes. His uncle, well step-uncle (something most knew but dared not mention) tracked him and brought him home. Julian and his children – Rodney and Jeanine were his only family. But he couldn't ever remember being so informal, so warm and...happy with them.

Nick. Uh Nicholas...

"Nicholas, what would you like to eat?" Richard asked, breaking him from his reverie.

"Sorry? Uh yeah, I am not sure, why don't you order. Anything will do for me."

"Ok Mimi we would like two of Lia's regular and one of mine. Thank you."

"No problem." Mimi noted the order and left but not before giving a warm smile to Nick.

Lyanna's cell-phone beeped and she excused herself.

"I am guessing that seat is not comfortable," Richard smiled at Nick who was still struggling to acquire the perfect position.

"Yeah no, it is not something I am used to." Nick said forcing a smile. He took off his jacket and loosened the knot of his tie. It was getting hotter. His hair was getting greasy and he knew he would soon be bathing in his own sweat.

"Wait till you taste the food. I used to get Lia here when she was a kid. She loves it here. It was just a food truck then. Mimi has done a great job with the place." Richard smiled like he was genuinely proud of a virtual stranger. Nick wondered whether his biggest rival was not that bad after all.

Richard's face grew sombre suddenly, as if he was approaching a dreaded subject. "Nick you were at that meeting, you know my company...I have 3 weeks, and then the paper work is finalised. I uh–"

"I understand sir, but uncle has assured you, we will get everything in order." His phone buzzed but he ignored the interruption.

"That is not my point. There are three more investors who pulled back yesterday. I haven't told Lia about it. I have full faith in your uncle...and you son, but I have to prepare myself for the worst. If the company collapses..."

Nick's cell-phone buzzed again but he cut the call.

"I don't want Lyanna to get into this mess; she has problems of her..." Richard stopped and shut his eyes.

"...she has dealt with a lot. I will not put her through this."

"What are you trying to say?"

What has she dealt with?

"I am saying I had a word with Julian. He and I both agree that you two should marry soon."

"How soon?" They both turned to see Lyanna standing a few feet away, arms folded and eyes wide, as if she was giving disapproving looks.

How much has Lia heard?

Nick and Richard shared blank looks.

"We were hoping that you two could get married the day we get the papers signed."

"3 weeks! But that is too soon..." Nick and Lyanna said in unison and frowned at each other. Richard raised his eyebrow and controlled a chuckle.

"That is too soon." Lyanna repeated. "I don't want to talk about it here" She sat down besides Richard and as if on cue, Mimi arrived with their orders.

"Thanks a tonne Mimi", Lyanna smiled at her. She peeled the plastic off her chopsticks and started eating. Richard and Nick did the same, though Nick took his time scrutinising what was on his plate. Crispy fried Chicken Wantons, Malaysian flat noodles with fried prawn and Chicken Lollipop. Richard had ordered Szechuan fish-fritters, Chino-spicy curry, rice noodles and steam-fried momos. Nick avoided fried food for the better part of his life. Julian, whose mantra was to stay fit till you hit 80 would have gone bat-shit crazy if so much fat, was served to him. Nick too would have reacted similarly, but he didn't want to be rude and that, surprised him. He sceptically put the first Chicken Wanton in his mouth and controlled a heartfelt food-gasm. Lyanna and Richard shared knowing looks and resumed their meals. His phone vibrated in his pocket but he ignored it again. In the next 15 minutes the lot had cleaned their plates spotless and were waiting for the bill.

"Whoa! That was...something else." Nick said, wiping the sweat caused from the ambience and the excessive amount of Szechuan sauce he had consumed. "Please allow me." Lyanna and Richard interjected but he did not budge. His phone buzzed again and this time he got up excusing himself. He put his card in the bill book and headed outside.

"Hel–"

"Looks like Nicky got himself a new fuck-buddy."

"Jeanine. JJ–Jean, hi...uh...where are you?"

"Does it matter? Congratulations by the way step-cousin. You and dad really know how to use a situation to your advantage."

"It is not what it looks like. It is a business deal. We're saving Collings' ass from bankruptcy. Surely uncle would have–"

"He told me you were marrying his daughter. Pray tell me how is that a business deal? If I didn't know you better, I'd say you're mixing business with pleasure."

"It's not like that. I don't even like her. Richard Collings proposed that we...Uncle also agreed. Look we'll figure it out."

"Well you better figure it out, because I am not letting that witch steal what is mine."

A/M: I love mozzarella cheese like it's my first born.