12. (2) If the Cap Fits...

A/N: Late! Late! So late! HEARTFELT Apologies! Technology and writer's block intervened with commitments. Enjoy the chapter. Next one features the much awaited wedding with some dark revelations. Any guesses?

Summer's phone buzzed and she was called in at work. She politely, or more so gladly, excused herself. Lyanna and Nick were too engrossed in a battle of eye-fire to react or retort.

A few things they were individually sure of. She didn't want the alliance, he didn't want Jeanine to snake back into his life, and they both didn't want the marriage.

***

The drive to Pine St. Tiffany's Store was a blur. They selected their rings, went for cake tasting, and the souvenir shop. After the ordeal was done, Nick dropped off Lyanna and left without saying another word.

The following days passed in a similar fashion. They kept their interaction limited and whenever they were made to go together, their conversation was restricted to a minimum.

The wedding was in 2 days and last moment arrangements were in motion. Lyanna's gown had arrived along with Richard's Tuxedo. He took a leave from work to spend time with his daughter. Mimi was to be her bridesmaid and Summer was going to be the Maid of Honor. As for Nick, Rodney had pressed and pressed to become his Best Man and Nick, exhausted from working double hours, relented. Naturally that didn't go down well with Adam and for the next three days, Adam ignored Nick; even though his cabin was right next to Nick's.

Who would say this man is 30 years old?

Nick wondered why he even bothered getting married when he basically had a spouse in the skin of a best friend. Finally, in the form of 'punishment', Adam made Nick promise that whoever they maybe, Nick will get the personal numbers of all the bridesmaids through Lyanna. He knew Nick was slightly buzzed after his proposal was shot down and thought he could have some cheap fun at his expense. Unable to say no to Adam, Nick relented yet again. As a bonus, Adam also added that he would be allowed to exact his personal revenge on Rodney. Nick smirked; amused at the satanic look Adam gave. He knew if Adam were set out to take revenge, his target would suffer momentous amount of pain and embarrassment.

This one I'd love to see.

***

Same evening was the rehearsal dinner. Neither Nick nor Lyanna knew what purpose it would serve when the whole world knew that this was more a business merger than marriage. Nick and Julian decided to take a back entrance to the venue to avoid the paparazzi. Rodney was on his way with his 'date'. Nick presumed that Lyanna would want to make a grand appearance and was not to arrive until after another hour passed. Typical brides!

So imagine his surprise when he spotted her, standing with some elderly businessman whose name he did not care to recollect, adorning the dramatic night sky around her wavy body. It was a simple, strapless, dark-blue gown with shades of navy and deep purple blending into lighter hues until it turned white around the hem. Her hair was down, set into soft curls and her make-up other than simple liner and soft blue eye-shadow was as good as non-existent. Julian was engaged with some statesmen. Nick dared to take his eyes off her just to affirm that from all of the painted faces, expensive clothes and colognes, and loaded pockets, she stood out.

He watched as the older guy excused himself and a man, who looked about his age, approached her. God, Nick could smell his need, see his lecherous gaze roving on her divine curves and how he pretended like he was listening to her when all he wanted to do was...