31. The Real Reason

A/N: Going to rename chapters after I'm done. Planning on wrapping it up in less than ten chapters. I seriously never planned to drag it until 40s. Ah well, enjoy! Heart Heart JPC <3 <3 <3

P.S. Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share :D

Present:

Nick's eleven-year-old self had never quite recovered from it and seeing how fondly Lyanna remembered her beloved pet only opened up his previous misgivings.

I have only been hurting this woman ever since I met her.

"Breakfast is ready, Nick."

"Call me Nicholas."

Lyanna looked taken aback.

So, we aren't even close enough for me to call him by his nickname.

"Everybody calls me Nick and that's fine, I guess, but I just like it when you take my full name. I can't explain it better than that." He bent down to peck her cheek and sat down on the kitchen counter to munch on the breakfast.

Lyanna stood rooted in her spot.

He was digging into his white omelet when Lyanna approached him.

"Nick . . . about last night. My timing could not have been worse. It's just—"

"We cannot predict what happens. I know," he kept his fork down and looked her square in the eyes, "You could not have predicted that Summer's pet would die and I could not have predicted that I would find you likeable."

"Um, what?"

"You heard it the first time. I find you very very very likeable," he finished with a smirk, winking at her before popping some crispy bacon in his mouth.

"You can't!"

"Why?"

"I mean, how can you?"

"Really, Lia? You want me to stroke your ego by telling you all the things I find likeable in you?" He got up from his stool and stalked toward her. He stopped close to her. A little too close.

He bent down and said, "Fine, let's go through it." His icy blue eyes glinted with mischief.

He began walking around her in circles, leaning close to her ear once in a while as he spoke. "The reasons why Nicholas Winter will not grant you a divorce are: you are resourceful, smart, funny, kind of annoying," he spanked her, "you have a sexy ass, and, most importantly, I haven't made it mine yet," he whispered the last part in her ear and felt her shiver against him.

"So no, Mrs. Winter, I will not be signing those blasted papers. Not now, not ever."

I know the dangers involved in this game. I know that you will figure out the truth eventually and you will hate me more than anything but until then, I want you beside me. I am sorry Lia, but where you are concerned, I find that I am weak and selfish. So be it. I will be selfish.

She could not formulate answers, because he was standing too close. What was this man talking? Why did he want to stay in this fruitless marriage?

"Nick, how can you not want the divorce?"

"I already told you what I want, Lia."

"But I—"

"I want you."