The Lady: Part. 11

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" Is the sound Kelly makes as she runs toward me, her arms outstretched, in the arrivals hall of Heathrow Airport, London.

I'm Home.

At least, it suddenly feels like home.

She literally dives on me, so forcefully that I'm almost winded, "Tanya, you have no idea how good it feels to hold you and have you back with us." She relaxes her grip and pushes my shoulders gently back, "And you look great." She looks over at Kade, who is getting the same welcome from Troy, "You both look great, super sharp, did you have a make-over team on the flight, or something?" She asks.

I chuckle, "Not on the plane, but we do have a make over team, I'll explain later." I take her hand, "It's so great to be back home, it really is," I say, glancing over at Drew. His head is bowed and bewildered, his hands trembling. "Hey Kelly, Troy, meet Drew," I say, gesturing toward him.

I soon regret my way of introduction.

Kelly snaps from me, and like a live firecracker snaps toward Drew, with an open armed, sparky enthusiasm.

Drew reacts like an athlete having heard the start gun, and races across the arrivals hall - a sprinter going for gold.

Kelly looks from Drew, to me, "Was it something I said?" I reassure her, "Drew doesn't do hugs, he needs a little coaching in that department, and a whole lot more departments besides," I say, leading her towards Drew, who's cowering at the entrance to the airport drug store.

......

Troy approaches Drew slowly, and stops a couple of feet away, "Do you remember me?"

Drew looks shy, "Yes. You're Troy, my hero," he whispers, fearful of the public hearing his voice.

Troy instinctively knows how to handle him, "You're a hero, too. You did what so few followers, particularly the Castrato, have done; you escaped with your life, and brought Tanya's life back with you. You're a real life Super Hero!" He says.

Drew tries to stifle his smile, "I'm a confused Castrato right now. But I thank you for being so kind and understanding."

Troy reaches out his hand and touches Drew's arm, "My only fond memories of our captivity, is when you were brought to sing for my elders, when we were kids, do you remember?"

Drew's smile breaks open, and a shaft of sunlight bounces of his silver teeth, beaming across the hall like a laser light, "You remember my singing?"

Troy looks reflective, "Yes, your singing soothed me. Amongst all the brutality, your voice was my only experience of beauty."

"You remembered me, that makes me feel happy, inside," says Drew, placing his hand on his heart.

"Don't forget, I know where you've come from, I've been there. And look at me now, you can get where I am, with time," says Troy, with a quiet enthusiasm.

Drew nods his head, "Maybe. Thank you, Troy." He looks around him, his face showing clear signs of wonder and awe, "All these people, so many different colors and kinds, I hear many different voices and languages. Are they all free?" He asks, in his soft, sing-songy-soprano.

Troy nods, "Yes, they are, just like you: free." He looks over at Kade, Kelly and I, we're binge talking like people who've not eaten in weeks, "Let's go, we need to get Drew back home," he says, with a knowing empathy.

......

Kade and I are having a happy overload as we stand hand in hand waiting for our pre-booked cab back to The Hospital.