The Lady: Part. 30

"Lady, come back here!" The guy shouts after me.

But I ignore him, and wander away, aimlessly.

As I tread the familiar territory I cast my mind back to my last image of Kade. I smile and think – if it's to be my last memory of him, it's fitting – him diving on Kelvin and I to protect us from the explosion. That's exactly what I would expect of him.

My thoughts and understanding of this situation I now find myself in are surprisingly lucid and clear.

The explosion on the underground train was from the hospital. I estimate we were travelling underneath the building at the exact time mum's procedure failed and the bomb was detonated.

Also, I suspect the school children and Kade, Kelvin and I were being transported back to The Land of Love, in Chicago. That journey continued whilst I was unconscious, and now I'm back, at my beginning.

Just as Kade's mum planned what would happen in the event of her death, so The Surgeon's people had planned our return, for what purpose? I guess now I'll never know.

......

Looking around me, I wonder if Kade's mum had also arranged the destruction of the theme park and the sinister science facility that existed under it. Is this her final legacy: total destruction of The Surgeon's people and her work?

Maybe. But the truth is, I don't know.

Nor do I know what's happened to Kade, Kelvin, the kids, their carers and topknot guy.

What I do know, is that Troy, Kelly, Drew, Tony, baby Belinda and the others most probably went down with the hospital.

That makes me feel sad. And not knowing what's become of Kade and little Kelvin makes me feel empty.

Sad and empty – that combination isn't nice.

......

So deep in thought am I, that when I lift my head from the ground, I note that I've wondered quite a distance.

I'm now no longer in the area that was The Land of Love. In fact, I've wandered some miles, and am now on the outskirts of a Chicago suburb.

A group of kids notice me and approach.

I'm not apprehensive.

It's three guys, probably my age or a little younger. "Have you come from The Land of Love?" Asks the tallest of the guys. I sense no danger from them, they are motivated by curiosity rather than crime – I think.

"Yes, I have."

"WOW! All three say in unison. The tall guy continues, "We heard the booms all night. Our folks are so spooked, they thank the Lord it happened in the middle of the night when the park was empty; we were due to visit the day after," he says.