The Lady: Part 40 c

"Hold it Kelly!" Says Kade, guiding her gently back from the edge.

"Did you uncover this hole?" He asks our mini me's

They cling to each other, cowering, like they're about to be punished for a misdemeanor.

Little Kade shakes his head, "NO – when you were looking at the wall, it opened up. I promise we didn't open it," he explains, with a visible fear in his face.

Kade squats down, "No need to be fearful guys." He moves in closer, his manner that of a reassuring father, "You guys have done real good, your hollers have given us access to the core of this facility. It means we can go down there and take control and stop all those nasty examinations they give you, would you like that?" He asks.

Their faces light up and little Kade exclaims, "But will you still turn me into a girl when I'm sixteen?"

Kade smiles, "No buddy, we wouldn't do that." It's so bizarre to see Kade's smile reflected on his little self. My Kade stands up, "OK, we need you little guys to be patient, we have work to do, but we'll be back." He glances at me and mouths, "I promise you, we'll be back."

......

We take it in turn to sit on the edge of the circle, our legs dangling into the chasm below.

For a brief moment, I have that flash of childhood fear wherein we think a monster will grab our feet from under the bed and drag us under.

I smile at the silliness and immaturity of my thinking at this crucial time.

"Are we all ready?" Asks Kade.

We are – until all our eyes land on Kelly and our readiness is diverted. She gasps – her face contorts – her body jolts – then she's gone – dragged with great force into the depths of the core.

I see the shock register on Troy's face – but within a heartbeat, his body thrusts downwards like a human bullet.

"TAN, SAVE YOURSELF, JUMP UP!" Shouts Kade, his body battling to hold onto the edge of the hole. But he loses the battle – the speed and force that propels him downwards is shocking.

Confusion clouds me, but my head has a moment of clarity and I pull my feet up – too late – GRABBED!

Hands grasp my ankles. Their grip is tight, vice like, rendering my legs inert – any attempt at escape is futile.

Suddenly I'm winded as my body is yanked downwards with a formidable and frightening force.

......

My stomach lurches as I continue to drop, like I'm freefalling from an airplane. Then a jolting pull back, almost like a parachute has opened.

My body's descent slows, and as it does so, I try to take in my surroundings.

I'm vertical, descending down a darkened cylinder.