The Lady: Epilogue

Remember Kade's wish – "I wish we wake up in a regular bed, make incredible love in a regular shower, THEN we go back to bed and watch a movie."

Well – it came true.

Then, on the day after our liberation we returned underground to meet with The Castrato. We learned with open-mouthed awe of the military precision with which Drew, with my brother, Tony's help, organized the forceful overthrow of The Surgeon's regime.

In retrospect we saw the signs in Drew's change of character, he became more: confident, assertive and even displayed leadership like qualities. Unfortunately these attributes instilled suspicion in us, rather than support.

And as you know, it was this suspicion that ultimately led to Drew's untimely death.

Why didn't Drew tell us of his plans for a coup?

In short: to save us.

He knew a coup would lead to significant loss of life, on both sides. And Drew, in his infinite selflessness wanted to protect us from it. At the time of his death, he was leading Kade and I to a safe space, before instigating his strategy with the rest of The Castrato.

We recovered Drew's corpse and gave him a funeral with all the love and reverence that he deserved.

I'm happy Drew has a fitting-resting place in the facility. Kade carries the burden of guilt heavily, so it's nice we have a place wherein we can go and visit him, to pay our respects and talk quietly to him. I'm hoping with time, that Kade can learn to forgive himself.

......

We have seen the aftermath of the coup. The Castrato has shown us and identified the corpses of every one of The Surgeon's operatives; identifying their roles within the facility and how their denouement is a source of relief and celebration to us all.

......

And what of our mini me's – little Kade and Thomas?

Well, they will remain in the facility and be raised by The Castrato. It's their world, they no nothing else. But what's clear is their transition from scientific subjects to regular children is a joy to behold.

When I observe my little self, it's clear that I was born transgender. Little Thomas's liberation is allowing him express his true self, his femininity is evident and he will clearly blossom into a beautiful girl; should that be his wish, of course. There will be no enforced gender transitions in these young people lives, that's for sure.

It's with sadness when I think of how my childhood circumstances made me repress myself so severely.

But again, as you all know, I arrived at my true self in a rather more unusual way than most trans people. The greatest irony of my story is that my success is The Surgeon's failure – and for that I will always be truly grateful.