The lady: Part 37

The bullet has entered Drew's upper abdomen, just where there is a small ventilation gap in the body suit,  and tore out of his back; it's clear to me that he has no chance.

Kade drops to his knees, "Stay with us Drew, you'll pull through, we'll get you help," he says, looking helplessly at me. I'm equally helpless; we don't even have anything to stem his bleeding, as we are naked under our thickly armored body suits.

Drew's voice grows weak as his face takes on the white, blue tinged pallor of fast approaching death, "Take the security pass – ignore this presentation – it's good." He smiles weakly, "Good, in that it's distracting many operatives – go down corridor – through the cadaver room – on to The lab." His breathing becomes shallow as Kade's guilt surfaces, "I'm so sorry Drew..." Realizing we have little time, I gently push Kade back, "Drew, where do we go, who do we kill, you mentioned it was an it?" I ask, trying to calm the despair in my voice.

Kade, seeing that Drew is struggling to stay alive to give us the info we need, backs off and leaves me to it. I take the security key from him and gently clasp his hand to my chest.

His eyes flicker but his face has a soft serenity as he explains, "The core of the facility – far below ground – The Surgeon, The Twins they're there." He says.

"What, physically, are they new new clones?" I ask.

"No – virtual, digital – destroy their control center – kill whoever gets in your way." His body jolts with the intensity of his pain – "Kill the children – you must kill them." He says.

The corners of his mouth upturn into a weak smile, "Thank you for letting me experience kindness."

"Thank you for all you've done for us; we'll never forget you," I say.

He exerts himself to lift his head toward Kade, "I understand what you did – I would've done the same – no guilt – please," he says, with a weak smile.

His breathing becomes rapid, his words weaker, "Remember, Kelvin is a child, doing what he's told – don't be too harsh on him...

...say goodbye to Kelly, Troy and Tony...

...you are all such special people..."

When I see he's minutes, maybe seconds from death, I cradle his head and gently caress his cheek, "Go Drew, be the magnificent spirit you are, flying free of all of the suffering they inflicted on you," I say, softly.

His eyes close, but I still see rapid movement below the lids.

"He's gone," says Kade – but no – Drew's eye's spring open and a last burst of passionate life comes from him as his head shoots up off, of my hand – "YOU HAVE TO HALT THEIR NEW CLINICAL TRIAL, IT'S WRONG."

My desperation erupts, "What is it – how do we halt it – Drew, give us one last insight – how do we halt this trial?"

He gives us his his last gasp – "Check your childhood photo – don't let them do it – mother's brain tried to halt it – she failed – I tried to halt it, by killing the children – I failed – I'm sorry – I'm going – done – finished...