The lady: Part. 25

My brain found it difficult to process what Kade was telling me. Instinctively my head swiveled, "No, no, no – I can't accept that I'm The Lady – No!"

He handed me a bunch of flowers, but I pushed his hand and the flowers away, while still shaking my head.

There was hurt in Kade's voice, "Don't be like this Tan, please."

I bit back, "Like what: disagreeing with you? Standing up for myself? Or for being grossly offended by your sudden assumption that I'm this cruel creature, The Lady?"

My voice rose with each question and I noticed other people in the museum turning to look at us. I took a deep breath and lowered my voice, "I just can't accept that, Kade."

He handed me the flowers again, and this time I accepted them. He looked around the vast room we were in, "We're surrounded by ancient old dead people, let's go get a coffee, we need to talk," he said, taking my hand, and leading me out of The Mummy rooms of the British Museum.

"Excuse me Lady!" A male American accent shouted after me, as I was about to leave the room. I turned to see a friendly young guy, an obvious tourist. I pointed to myself, "You mean me?" I asked.

He smiled, "Yes." He pointed to the base of a glass case that contained the shriveled up remains of an Egyptian Queen, "Something dropped from your bag," he said.

Looking at where he pointed, I hurriedly rushed to pick up the box: it was my hormone tablets, my estrogen. "Thank you," I mumbled, putting the box back into my bag and securing the zip.

......

The museum café is a big, light and airy space on the ground floor. Kade ordered a coffee for himself, and a green tea for me "Take a seat and I'll bring them over to you," the older barista smiled.

We took a seat at the far end of a long table that afforded us as much privacy as you could expect in such a large public space. I don't know why, but I was really jittery, nervous even. Two emotions I'd never felt with Kade, before.

Kade was about to break our silence when he was interrupted by the barista guy, he handed Kade his coffee, then said, "And a green tea for The Lady," placing the small pot and cup in front of me.

I shot the guy a suspicious look, and then swiftly threw it back at Kade, "What's going on here, have you organized this?" I asked, abrasively.

He shook his head and I saw a flash of annoyance in his face, "Chill Tan. What's with all this anger and suspicion, do you seriously think I'd get some random guy to refer to you as The Lady, to prove my point?" He asked.

Conceding that, that is a strategy far from Kade's style, I shook my head to indicate a no, but reiterated, "I just can't accept that I'm The Lady."