cuatro

C H A N E L

I walked out of the school to meet Justin at the parking lot. Imma just be one hunda wit you, I had a like crush on him. But since he's taken and I don't do the whole side chick thing I was trying to fall back as best as I could. Plus Za was single and actually had the nerve to talk to me other than drool over me and cat call like some boys at school.

I waited at my car and went through my Twitter feed until he came over. He smiled at me and jogged over. My heart began to race.

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my--

"You ready to go?" He asked me.

"Yeah," I said, opening my driver side door. "Follow behind me."

"Okay." He got in his BMW, which was surprisingly two cars away from mine, and I started to drive out of the school parking lot.

I turned on some Bryson Tiller to calm my nerves. Music always distracted me and I needed that right now.

We pulled up to my house and we parked our cars in the driveway. I hopped out and grabbed my stuff.

"C'mon." I said to Justin. He was taking his sweet ass time getting out of his car and we needed to hurry this up because I didn't think my heart could handle him being around me for more than an hour.

"I'm coming. I'm coming." He said, finally jumping out and following me to my front door.

I unlocked the front door with my key and I went in, Justin following close behind.

I motioned Justin to follow me and I jogged up the stairs. When we got to my room I threw my backpack on my bed and plopped on it.

"Ugh I missed you sooo much." I muffled into my pillow. Justin just chuckled and sat on the edge of my bed.

I sat up straight and faced Justin. "Your room is tight." He said, looking around.

"Thanks." I felt my cheeks getting hot and I mentally slapped myself.

"Is that all vinyls?" He asked, pointing to my three crates full of vinyl records.

"Yep."

"I had no idea you were such a music fan."

"I guess there's a lot of things you don't know about me." I said. Our eyes locked for a bit until Justin coughed and stopped the moment.

"We should get started on this project, yeah?" Justin asked. I nodded and I mentally prepared myself for the questions.

He pulled out his phone and started audio recording. "What are you doing?"

"I want to record so I don't miss any details." Justin answered.

"Okay."

"First question," He started. I shifted on the bed a little to get comfortable. "Why did you move to California?"

"I move to California because my dad wanted me to go to a good college after I graduate. He also wanted to start a branch of law firms in California. We have one in Atlanta so he has to travel a lot between here and there."

"Okay," He said, nodding. "The next question is what was your life like growing up?"

I sighed before answering. "I had a very good childhood. My mom and dad would always take me to Disney World every summer and Bahamas during winter. I guess you could say my life was very adventurous."

"How did you begin to love music?"

I choked on this one. "My mom was a background singer and she sing behind Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion. She even brought me on tour with her."

"Where is she now?" Justin asked.

This question really hit home. I really wanted to avoid talking to anyone about this. Even my dad. "She passed away from a brain tumor when I was ten."

"Oh," Justin said. "I'm really sorry."

"You want some popcorn?" I asked, changing the subject. "I'll go get some."

I quickly walked out of my room and down the steps to the kitchen with tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.

I went to the pantry and got a packet of Act Two butter popcorn and put in the microwave. I took deep breaths and blinked really fast until the tears went away.

Then my phone started to ring. I got it out of my pocket and check the Caller ID. It was Za. I cleared my throat before answering it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey Chanel," Za said, nervously. "It's Za."

"I know." I said giggling.

"I wanted to ask you something."

"Ask away."

"I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me on Friday."

"Of course I would." I said.

"For real?" He said in disbelief.

"Yeah." I giggled.

"Cool," He said, still a little surprised. "I'll pick you up around seven. Wear something nice."

"Okay."

"Bye." Za said. I could sense him smiling.

"Bye." I said back and I hung up a few seconds later.

I smiled to myself. Maybe it wasn't met for me to have Justin.