12: Sugar We're Goin' Down

Chapter Twelve
Riley Matthews

*Start playing "Sugar We're Goin' Down" by Fall Out Boy. This one goes fast, so you might have to pause*

    "Maya can I open my eyes now?" I asked.

    Halfway along the way to wherever Maya is taking me, she decided to make me close my eyes just so that I wouldn't have a clue as to where we were going. Good thing that she was dragging me or else I would've bumped into something by now.

    "Ok, you can open 'em!" Maya told me.

    I immediately opened my eyes, eager to see what Maya was surprising me with. I gasped. We were now standing in the middle of a field in Central Park.

    "Maya, you don't have to do this," I beamed.

    "Yes, I do," Maya argued, "I feel terribly awful for missing your birthday, so I wanted to make it up to you by bringing you to your favorite place."

    "But, it's not your fault that you missed my birthday! You were in a coma!"

    "I know, but you're my best friend and you deserve something special from me."

    "I know, but really, you didn't have to do this!"

    Maya smiled as she took my hand. "Just shut up and go with it."

    I just laughed. "Oh, ok!"

    Am I more than you bargained for yet

    Before I knew it, Maya was dragging me over to a little hill in the middle of the field.

    "When I was younger, this used to be my spot," Maya told me, "At night, I used to come here and look up at the stars."

    "When did you stop coming here?" I asked.

    "When I started getting too much homework and chores for me to keep on coming here. I could've went on the weekends, but I eventually forgot about it. I literally just remembered about it a few seconds ago."

    Maya suddenly plopped down into the grass, and dragged me down with her.

    Lie in the grass, next to the mausoleum

    "Look up, Riley," Maya told me, "Look at how beautiful the stars are."

    Now that I was lying down, it didn't take much effort me to look up. The bright stars in the dark night sky seemed as if they were dancing and twinkling.

    "Wow...," I gasped out of amazement, "The sky is really clear tonight!"

    "I know. We picked the perfect time to do this. But this spot is very special to me. Once I remembered about it, I decided to bring you here because you're very special to me."

    "Aw, thank you! You're very special to me too!"

    "Thanks, Riles!"