18 Complete Part 2

"Any closer and I would've stepped in." Eric whispers into my ear. His breath smelling of spearmint.

"I'm a big girl." I tell him. "Why were you late?" I turn around fully to ask.

"That's something I'll have tell you later at my parents."

His parents? Why does he have to tell him with his parents present? Is it that serious?

My head starts to spin with all the possibilities as to why Eric was late and why he can't tell me here. I turn back around to face forward. Jake is attempting to help Jason with possible gym activities. Jason doesn't seem to be paying any attention to Jake. His attention is everywhere but Jake. I can tell he is listening to the various conversations being had by the students in the gym. He has that same look on his face that Eric and Dimitri get when they are listening with their abilities.

It starts to make he wonder if he has picked up on the werewolves here. He isn't giving anything way. It could just be his poker face. But why here and now? Could he be the wolf that caused our accident?

"Did you hear about the dogs disappearing?" I ask.

"From the news but I don't think we should talk about that here." Eric tells me.

I roll my eyes out of frustration. "Can you just tell me that bit now?" I beg.

Just as Eric exhales and opens his mouth the substitute gym teacher calls my name. I wince at the way he calls my name. It's a weird sing song tone. I turn to face the front of the gym in response.

"Can you drop this off to the main office?" He asks.

I want to say no. Tell him that he's interrupting an important conversation. I huff and walk to the front once again to take the documents from Jason.

I don't know why this can't wait or why he can't do it himself. I'm sure he knows where the main office is. I reach for the papers but he doesn't let them go. I look up at his eyes and wait for a response. His face is blank.

He's being creepy now and I don't like it. I look back at Eric to see if he is watching this strange exchange and he is.

"Olivia?" Eric calls my name.

"Yes?" I answer.

"Step away from the teacher." Eric tells me.

I do as I'm told. I start to freak out once I notice the whole gym class is watching us. I don't know what is about to happen.

"You know I don't have anything planed for this class. Attendance is taken so you can go to the field and wait for me there." He tells the class.

I notice all the humans in the class follow his instructions immediately. The only humans left in the gym is Dixon and I. Jason doesn't say anything to us about staying behind. He has this stupid smirk on his face.

Eric gets up from the bleachers and walks to meet Jason. He is smiling like he has a death wish.

"I don't like that smell your putting in the air." Eric's voice is rough and cold. I shiver from the sound.

"I'm not here to care about what you like or don't." Jason says.

"Why are you here?" Dimitri questions as if this is boring him.

"Just passing through but it seems someone else is already doing that here." He smirks my way.

So he isn't the one that caused the accident. Either way he is being really strange and it's enough to piss off Eric who is usually rather chill.

"Go back to where ever you came from. Your not welcome here. Alpha doesn't-"

Before Eric can finish Jason attacks him. Somewhere in the mist of watching this I scream and distract Jason. Eric takes his own swing at him. Eric throws punch after punch. I can see in his eyes he's trying not to change.

Dixon and Dimitri are by my side trying to pull me away. I can't move. I need to stop Eric from killing this guy. Wolf or not. I don't want him dead. He didn't do anything to me. Plus I'm probably the only one who can.

I call his name twice and he stops. Jason doesn't move but I'm sure he is far from dead. Hurt yes but still very much alive. The other wolves bow slightly and drag him out the gym.

We don't change out of our gym clothes. I toss on Eric's varsity jacket from my locker. Dixon ops out of coming with us. He stays behind to cover for me. I promise to fill him in later.

"I'm sorry." Finally speaks as we enter his car. "I shouldn't have reacted like that. He was just putting out these pheromones but you couldn't smell them."

So that's what he meant about smell in the air. "I get it. Just warn me next time."

He chuckles, "yeah I'll try."

"Where are we going?" I ask once out of the school parking lot.

"To yours so you can change then my parents. I think we should talk about the reason why I was late." I nod and sit back in my seat. Finally in going to get some answers.