Return

Stefan's POV:

I got up early in the morning and turned on the TV praying that there were no more animal attacks like I had every morning for the past 6 years. I leaned in close, completely captivated by the TV. The newscaster was just finishing up a report about a school fundraiser when suddenly BREAKING NEWS flashed across the screen.

"This just in," The reporter read from a paper that was handed to him prior. "The bouncer of a club that wishes to remain anonymous was just found brutally murdered. Police have confirmed it to be another one of those rogue animal attacks. These animal attacks have popped up along the eastern border stretching as far south as Charleston, South Carolina and as far north as Portland, Maine. Police tell us that the animal goes for the necks of its victims. Town officials say that the victims of this vicious creature are completely drained of blood. Police have no suspects and few leads. If you have any information regarding these attacks, contact your local authorities immediately."

I placed my head in my hands and sighed. I knew for a fact that those weren't animal attacks. They weren't even by anything human. They were by a vampire. It was Elena.

"Uncle Stefan?" A childish voice asked as a small body crawled onto my lap startling me.

"Stella," I quickly turned the television off. "What are you doing up?"

"I had a bad dream," Stella replied as she looked up at me with her crystal blue eyes. "Where did my mama go?"

Ever since Stella was old enough to speak, she had asked Katherine and I where Elena and Damon were everyday. We would tell her that her mother went away for a while and that her father was somewhere far far away. Elena had abandoned Stella and made it clear that she didn't want anything to do with her. I could kind of understand where she was coming from.

Every time Stella looked at me with her blue eyes, I saw Damon's eyes and whenever she'd smile, it reminded me of his. "Your mother went away for a little bit. I promise she'll come back," I stroked her straight dark brown hair.

She snuggled into my chest content,"Can you tell me about Mama and Daddy again?"

I smiled at her,"You need to go back to bed."

"Pleeease?" She gave me the puppy dog eyes that she knew I couldn't resist. I knew she was right. I could never say no to those eyes.

"Ok, but then it's back to bed, Young Lady," I replied. Stella grinned and looked up at me waiting for me to begin. "Your mother looks just like your Aunt Katherine for reasons I can't explain to you yet. She kept her hair straight so we could tell her apart from Aunt Kat. Your mother is so kind and so sweet and everyone just couldn't help but instantly love her. Your father on the other hand was mean, but everyone knew he was just pretending. You have his crystal blue eyes and he has the blackest hair I have ever seen. I met your mother at school and we became very good friends. She came home with me one day after school and that's how she met your father. They both love you so much," I murmured quietly.

I looked down and saw that she had hung on to every word. "Are there any pictures of them?" Stella asked as she watched me.

"Hmm..I don't know. Maybe. Lets go look." Stella slid off of my lap and followed close behind me as I went to one of the many bookshelves. She watched me eagerly as I scanned the many books. I stopped at one and pulled out a faded blue journal with a gold design on the cover. It was Damon's diary.

I had came upon it when I was in his room a few years ago and I decided to keep it in a safe place away from prying eyes. I carefully flipped open the cover and a puff of dust flew out making Stella sneeze. Lying in the worn pages without any rips or tears which showed it obviously meant a lot to someone, was a picture of Damon and Elena.